Outfit: caped crusader

It’s quite tricky finding a cape that will suit you if you’re petite all over… it’s fairly easy to look like you’re wearing something hilariously oversized and not at all stylish. I had a feeling the key was finding one that was a shorter length and I think I might have been right! Let’s introduce you to my first ever cape…
I swooped this cape in last year’s Collectif sale, so apologies in advance that it’s not available now. (unless you’re a size 8-10 like me, as I found one!). They often pop up in re-sale groups, so worth keeping an eye on those if you’re keen. I always feel a bit sad about it when I see one get sold on, though, quite often with a note to say it’s never been worn. It’s such an unusual piece – I get that it takes a bit more thinking to style it and it’s not something you’re going to reach for every day, but it is rather fun to have around and I can’t picture giving mine up. There’s something very glamourous about cloaking oneself in one of these – I guess because they’re so little seen in modern fashion that they do instantly hark back to thoughts of well-dressed days of past.
And yeah, the baby pink pattern might not be for everyone, but to be honest it’s not usually for me either. I can’t think of a single other item I own in this colour. When it’s baby pink on a winter coat though, it’s doesn’t feel as sickly sweet. Especially not when paired with the dark tones of winter accessories.
If there wasn’t enough to love about it already, it makes for some pretty dramatic photos too…
Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Ugg touch screen leather fur gloves

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit

Collectif Eglentine pink check cape outfit
Beret: Primark (old)
Cape: Collectif (last season – an XS/S here)
Gloves: Ugg (still available in dark brown)
Skirt: Peacocks (old)
Tights: Primark
Boots: Miss L Fire (last year’s)
What’s that, I’ve got through a whole post without mentioning the w word? Yes, I’m still dragging myself through the wedding to do list and it seems to be bigger every time I look at it, but we finally got the invitations out this week so that’s a weight off my mind! Maybe it will actually be possible to get everything on there done after all 😀 Back to the venue this weekend to discuss more logistics, it’s hard to believe we’re now 4.5 months away!

1. January 26, 2017 / 9:13 pm

Tee hee! I hadn't seen this post when I wrote my comment on your Instagram, I think you should add "of cuteness" into the title!! This cape is made for the petite isn't it, what a great fit. And the drama of the sleeves is wonderful. I like pink in winter, I very recently wore a pink coat and grey knit tights. A classic colour combo, grey and pink. I like the lighting in these photos. Xx

• January 30, 2017 / 1:27 pm

That's really funny – I assumed you'd seen the post title and hence your comment! I'm not sure I'd ever call myself cute though :p The lighting in these photos – I wish I knew how to replicate it!! It was a total fluke, of course… xx

2. Anonymous
    January 27, 2017 / 3:28 pm

Commenting on your blog from my phone is always difficult… oh my, I now want a cape with a belt. The belt makes all the difference for us shorties, it's the difference between drowning in fabric and looking gorgeous! And your styling is obviously faultless. Great look.

3. January 28, 2017 / 12:53 am

This is such a beautiful cape and even better that it works for the petite! I have the coat version of this and everything about it is amazing, I would so love to have it as a cape too lol. I love it worn here with black and grey and your boots are seriously amazing. Beautiful photos x

• January 30, 2017 / 1:28 pm

It's so very rare that anything in the repro world ever suits the petite! The coat you mention, I know the one, but I've had to avoid it after seeing it on fellow shorties… x

4. January 29, 2017 / 9:46 pm

What an utterly fabulous winter look! I've been meaning to get a nice wool cape – they're so perfectly dramatic that I can't resist them. Great job finding one that suits your frame, and the pink plaid also suits your style. I'm also living for those boots, and still need to find a similar pair myself.

• January 30, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I think every woman should own one 😀 I really didn't think pink plaid suited me at all, but in cape form I think it does!

5. January 30, 2017 / 12:38 pm

Love that collectif cape! It's sooo cute!

6. January 30, 2017 / 2:27 pm

I never think I am a cape fan – usually because like you, I am petite, so it would just swallow me whole – but one like this are so attractive and cute with the way it has a belt in the middle to cinch the waist a bit despite the cape features. I love this on you! It looks so cozy!

7. January 31, 2017 / 10:31 am

Lovely outfit, you look very cute but very… office appropriate 🙂 Nice and elegant, I like the baby pink color. It's much more subtle than in my Trixi coat 🙂
    Love those booties!

8. January 31, 2017 / 11:47 am

This outfit looks so cosy with all of the faux fur trims on everything! I also love that the sky in the background is a lovely pink to match the cape! Capes are awesome – not that I own one myself, but if I lived somewhere colder I would definitely love one. It's crazy how fast the year is going and that we are already pretty much into February, I have a feeling this year is going to whiz by – for you especially with so much on your plate!

9. January 31, 2017 / 6:39 pm

this is so pretty! and it's a beautiful subtle pink. I would love to get a cape but the things that hold me back are, are they actually warm? and is it even practical? All I want is wear a cloak and feel like Belle from Beauty and the Beast haha.

10. January 31, 2017 / 8:48 pm

I'm always so weary of capes, but I've seen a couple that I like recently (including this one). Pink generally isn't my color, but you're selling it to me! I love that you paired it with darker colors to accentuate the cape, but also highlight that it's winter. Looks like I'll be cape hunting in the near future!

xo, Helene

11. February 5, 2017 / 2:43 am

I love capes but they can be so hard to wear and photography well. You do both exceptionally here. This one looks great on you!