Outfit: a coat for Christmas

This might just be the most Christmassy outfit I’ve brought to this blog. Is the only person I’m going to inspire with this look Mrs Claus herself? We shall see… It’s borderline too much, perhaps, but when you’ve got a coat this glorious shade of festive green and every red accessory it’s possible to own… and then you get your hands on a candy-cane brooch that contains both of these favourite things… I’m only human.
Anyway, back to this coat. This coat is something I had severe guilt over buying because since I got engaged I’m really not supposed to be making big purchases. But I saw it at London Edge and couldn’t forget it since – I just had a hunch that this would be the first swing style coat that wouldn’t be ridiculously long on me. Like everyone else, I swoon over Collectif’s coats, but then I see people a lot taller than me wearing them and I already know how that one’s going to end – skimming the floor. This coat is by Hearts & Roses – a brand I’ve largely ignored for years because their stuff is quite standard retro repro and not really my cup of tea for that reason – I don’t even really like wearing polka dots, truth be told. So I was surprised to see them branching out into outerwear, but heck I am glad that they did!
Finally, a swing-style coat that will go over my big skirts and is actually the right length for me! It’s also not so big in the shoulders I can’t get away with it. The sleeves do need altering – I’ve tucked them up inside for these photos but I will take the coat to a tailor at some point. It’s also much warmer than I was expecting and the buckle belt actually stays tightly in place. When does that ever happen? I love the cute little puff shoulders detail too, it really gives the coat an edge. Add to that it comes in an absolute tonne of colours and it’s the reasonable price of ยฃ74.99…
I’m basically trying really hard to stop myself buying two more. If they ever go in the sale let’s just say there’ll be no stopping me, wedding or no wedding.
Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch
Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch

Hearts & Roses swing coat in green

Erstwilder candy-cane brooch

Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch

Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch

Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch

Hearts and Roses London swing coat in green, Erstwilder candy cane brooch
Beret: Joy (old)
Gloves: Ugg (last year’s)
Bag: Collectif (old)
Shoes: Red or Dead (old)

1. December 13, 2016 / 1:46 pm

The puffed shoulders completely sell it for me – I LOVE this coat. I am so glad that you did decide to try out H&R Roses as I too have avoided their stuff for the same reasons. But not anymore, now that I have seen these pictures I am definitely getting the burgundy version that this coat comes in for my trip to Germany next year. It is STUNNING and well worth going outside of your budget for ๐Ÿ˜›

• December 14, 2016 / 1:03 pm

Yay, happy to convince you, it's a lovely coat ๐Ÿ™‚ it's something I'll keep for years with any luck, so I don't feel TOO bad ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. December 13, 2016 / 1:50 pm

I bought this same coat in the exact colour! I am like you I was a bit wary as I am only 5'1' and I was worried it would be more ankle length – thankfully for me it wasn't! I love the fact I can wear in on the train and tube and not overheat and not freeze when I am outdoors! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

• December 14, 2016 / 1:04 pm

I'm the same height as you, so I imagine it looks fairly similar in length on ๐Ÿ™‚ I was surprised at just how warm this coat is – I was expecting it to be a thinner material x

3. December 13, 2016 / 2:30 pm

There's no such thing as too much! This coat is lovely!! It looks so soft and cozy while keeping its structured shape. I don't blame you for splurging a bit – worst case, you have to wear this coat down the aisle, yeah? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• December 14, 2016 / 1:05 pm

I think the 'no such thing as too much' when it comes to novelty dressing is a particular quirk of vintage style lovers ๐Ÿ˜‰ And yeah, doesn't go with my colour scheme but it would go over my dress!!

4. December 13, 2016 / 2:56 pm

Wow, what a coat!! It is just perfection on you. I can see why you splurged, but as coats go it's actually reasonable. I have paid more for less nice ones! I do check back with some brands I'm not keen on, as now and again they come up with something interesting. Only a few weeks until you can say "I'm getting married THIS year!!" Xx

• December 14, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Yeah, that's what I told myself too. Collectif's coats come in at so much more than this too, which helped convince me I was doing the right thing ๐Ÿ˜€ And gosh, I know!! We are giving our marriage notice at the registry office on Monday! xx

5. December 13, 2016 / 3:54 pm

The coat looks gorgeous – I love how full the skirt is without it swamping you at all! The colour is lovely too, and with the red shoes and accessories looks perfectly festive ๐Ÿ˜€ I've never really bothered with Hearts & Roses either, but I'm going to check them out in a bit more detail now ๐Ÿ™‚
    Sian xx Rebel Angel

• December 14, 2016 / 1:06 pm

Yes, it's the perfect balance of big but not too big! They got the skirt so right with this xx

6. December 13, 2016 / 10:18 pm

The colour is glorious. Especially when paired with the red.

7. December 14, 2016 / 2:58 am

Wow that coat is stunning!!! It is the perfect colour and it looks so warm, you'll have to buy them all ๐Ÿ˜› I love the festive styling, it is completely appropriate anyway! I used to own a couple of H&R dresses a few year ago, the quality was really really good but they weren't my style, it's great to see them making garments like this now x

• December 14, 2016 / 1:07 pm

I'm sorely tempted to collect them all… If I wasn't on such a budget right now I'm pretty sure I would have two by this point! I've had a dress from this brand years ago and I thought the quality was dreadful, but this coat shows they've come a really long way since then x

8. December 14, 2016 / 5:37 am

happy festive season!…this outfit is fabolous on you:the colours blend are a work of Art…cheers!
    the photo s1600/640px6.jpg is very nice!

• December 14, 2016 / 1:07 pm

That's one of my favourite pics from the batch too ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. December 14, 2016 / 9:28 am

Goodness, this coat looks too fabulous! I love the cut and colour, but I'm really excited about the puff sleeves because -puff sleeves on all the things- haha!

And it's Christmas. Rock the candy cane look because candy canes are *awesome* and whoops- that reminds me I forgot to put mine on my tree! I keep doing that…. Need to rectify the situation asap!

• December 14, 2016 / 1:08 pm

Yes puff sleeves can go really wrong on me if they're too big, but these are so dainty and unassuming they don't overwhelm my frame. I really love them! xx

10. December 14, 2016 / 11:25 am

Wow what a really lovely coat, love that green colour and the style of it! Such a wonderful festive inspired outfit, especially with your red beret and candy cane brooch! ๐Ÿ™‚

• December 14, 2016 / 1:09 pm

I've wanted a green coat for so long, that was one of the big draws to this coat. But the other colours are also all lovely too! It's so nice when a coat comes in more than just black or navy…

11. December 14, 2016 / 12:29 pm

It's a wonderful coat- a brilliant shape and the gorgeous colour is so unusual for a coat. Kx

12. December 15, 2016 / 4:41 am

There is nothing wrong with dressing in all Christmas attire at this time of year ๐Ÿ™‚ That is a really lovely coat. I'm wondering what the finish of the material is like- it looks like a velour? Or is it a regular wool?
    I have a weakness for coats, I currently have 5 and am always on the lookout for another! But really, when you think about it, you wear your coat all the time, right? At least that's what I tell myself. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The Artyologist

• December 15, 2016 / 1:54 pm

It's not wool, it's more velour-like yes. I'm not sure exactly what it is to be honest, I don't have another coat in this kind of fabric! Something man-made I'm sure. I don't think I'll be counting my coats any time soon… at a guess I have at least 10 now, but it's probably more like 15 :S

13. December 18, 2016 / 8:30 am

I wanted to get this coat in red, but as I'm a tall person with a long back, I thought that the belt wouldn't hit me anywhere near my true waist – and I was probably right seeing from how well this suits you! I ended up buying a Pearl coat, which is perfect for taller girls. I'm happy that you also found a great coat, it's very beautiful and imo the outfit isn't too Christmassy either ๐Ÿ™‚

14. December 18, 2016 / 11:39 pm

This coat has such a glorious silhouette. I'm not surprised you had to have it. It looks fabulous.

15. December 20, 2016 / 11:23 pm

Adorable coat on you! I love how you've styled it for Christmas! <3

16. December 27, 2016 / 11:55 pm

Impeccable fit on you! With a coat, it does need to fit nicely. I love the colour, so nice to see a coat in a colour outside of the usual black and grey tones. I hope the skirt twirls well, I do love a good twirl!

17. March 22, 2017 / 2:51 pm

Hello Cici! I'm absolutely in love with your looks and style!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ I visit your blog for inspiration almost everyday! I'm thinking about buying this coat but I'm from Spain so I can't try it and have to buy it online T^T So, I hope not to bother you with my questions but, can you talk me about the fitting? I'm 5'1 just like you and usually wear a size 8 in most repro UK brands (Collectif, Lindy Bop…) but I'm not so sure about coats because I tend to layer a lot underneath them to keep me warm in winter.

Thank you very much for your attention and keep the good work!!! Lots of hugs from Spain~!

• March 22, 2017 / 3:01 pm

Hi! Thanks for your lovely comment ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll try to help… I usually wear a size 8 in those brands too and in this coat I also took this (the smallest) size. It fits very similarly to Collectif's 8s. Go by your waist measurement – my waist measures 27" and I find this coat a good fit. The bust is more flexible with room, but for reference my bust is 35". I could probably get one chunky jumper underneath but I will be honest that it's quite fitted and I'm more comfortable with thinner layers underneath (but that seems fine). I think you'd probably find the next size up would be too big on you though. Hope that helps!

• March 22, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Thank you very much for your quick answer!!! Gracias! ^0^/ The information is very helpful and I'll probably go for a size 8 then ๐Ÿ˜€ Cute coat, here I go! (wiiiih, I'm fangirling so much right now, thanks~! ^*^)

• March 22, 2017 / 6:07 pm

Not a problem! What can I say, I feel the plight of the petite and want to help!! I do think the 8 sounds right from what you've said. And you're very sweet – I can't believe anyone fangirls over me!!

18. October 25, 2017 / 5:32 pm

Hi Cici, your style is really beautiful and unique! I discovered your blog recently and I'm so excited reading your posts hahaha :D!!! I would like to buy this coat but I do not know whether to choose size 10 or 12. Could you give me your advice? please *.* My measurements are:

Bust: 37 "
    Waist: 28 "
    Shoulders: 14 "
    Height: 5'3 or 1.63 cm.

Thank you, have a beautiful day !!

• October 29, 2017 / 9:01 am

Hi Flor – thanks for the nice message! I'm not sure which one you'll need and don't want to advise you wrong, but I would guess it's the 10. You're 2" bigger than me on bust and waist exactly, and I find in most brands each size has a difference of 2" between them… The main thing with this coat is doing it up over the bust and I *think* you'll manage that with the 10. If you want to wear bulky jumpers under it though, you'll probably need the 12 (it won't look as nice and fitted so it's comfort vs style). You're 2" taller than me so length wise you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

19. October 30, 2017 / 4:01 am

Thank you very much Cici! I was also thinking about a size 10 but my question is because the ebay seller I want to buy, has these measures according to sizes:

UK Size 8 / EU 36 / IT 40 / US 4 / AU 8 / Tag XS – (To fit Bust: 32 inches / 81cm, Waist: 24 inches / 63cm, Hips: 34 inches / 88cm)
    UK Size 10 / EU 38 / IT 42 / US 6 / AU 10 / Tag S – (To fit Bust: 34 inches / 86cm, Waist: 26 inches / 68cm, Hips: 36 inches / 93cm)
    UK Size 12 / EU 40 / IT 44 / US 8 / AU 12 / Tag M – (To fit Bust: 36 inches / 91cm, Waist: 28 inches / 73cm, Hips: 38 inches / 98cm)

Commonly I am size 10 but there my measurements in size 12, so I would like to know if these measures are wrong and I can not ask the seller because he has not received messages. According to your experience, are these measures correct for the Hearts and Roses London brand? Thank you very much for your time, I value it very much!!

PS: My english is not good, excuse me!

• October 30, 2017 / 6:34 am

Hi Flor, I think those measurements are wildly wrong; there's no way I can fit into a 24" waist!! I'd say they're a size out – so you should be ok with a 10 if that's what you're going on!