Outfit: posing on the pier

This set of photos is extra special to me partly because I’d been picturing it for so long. We visit this pier every year, often several times a year, as it’s local to where we stay in the summer in the caravan by the coast. And every time I was on it, I’d take in the amazing scenery and think to myself… if there just weren’t so many damn people around, what an awesome photo location this would be. Because I see my surroundings in blog backdrops – what, don’t you?
This year, however, I finally did something about it. I got up early and dragged my trusty photographer out at 7am on a chilly early autumnal morning. It was so worth it (well, for me it was, B might say otherwise!). There wasn’t another soul on the pier, the wind was at a minimum as forecasted (unheard of) and while nippy, I’ve had a lot worse. We got there as the sun was still rising and it created such a beautiful hazy low light together with all the clouds. Of course, my outfit had to have a nautical vibe for such a location. I think it was finished off perfectly by this little pinwheel brooch – I don’t know about everywhere else in the world, but you find a lot of these in seaside towns over here (er, pinwheels that is, although if any shops at the seaside want to start selling Erstwilder brooches…).
But really, the star of this show is the pier itself. What is there not to love about a living, breathing part of Victorian history? It markets itself as ‘unspoilt’ and I think that’s pretty accurate. It’s not full of coin machines and endless junk food stalls, it’s just a big ol’ pier with a fish and chips restaurant one end and a theatre the other. Yes, that’s right, a theatre! It still has an end-of-pier show all these years later. The other great thing about it is that the local dog-walking community love strolling along it, so by the time I’ve walked to the end I’ve probably seen about 20 dogs! And that’s quite alright with me.
Nautical 50s inspired outfit on the pier
Collectif striped t-shirt

Seaside pin-up posing on the pier

The Red or Dead London Pier bag

Nautical vintage inspired outfit with lifering novelty bag

Old style viewfinder on the pier

Walking on a Victorian pier Cromer
Pin-up style nautical outfit on a pier

Erstwilder pinwheel party brooch

Nautical 50s pin-up style outfit on a pier

Nautical 50s pin-up style outfit on a pier

Nautical 50s pin-up style outfit on a pier

Nautical 50s pin-up style outfit on a pier
Top: Collectif (old)
Skirt: Collectif (sold out)
Shoes: B.A.I.T. Footwear via Zulily
Our visits to the pier are probably done for this year, but we’ll be back very soon. Maybe not at 7am in the morning next time…

1. October 13, 2016 / 12:49 pm

There truly seems to be an art to British piers, they really are the most gorgeous. Those lamps – that pavilion! With such a setting and the soft beautiful light this is like a dream landscape. It certainly was worth the early wake up to have the pier all to yourself and that gorgeous light. Really love the shots of you looking through the perfectly coordinating telescope! I think I really need this bag now, you've completely sold it for me.

• October 13, 2016 / 12:57 pm

Definitely, we can do a pier alright! We can also do them a bit more shockingly, but let's ignore that 😉 I will say this bag is a really useful size! It is a tote, for sure.

2. October 13, 2016 / 1:22 pm

I'd hate getting up so early but dang, there's something so amazing about these photos – the morning light, the haze, and the fact that there's NO ONE IN SIGHT! Great idea for such a cute outfit!

3. October 13, 2016 / 1:39 pm

The morning light is beautiful in these photos, well worth the early start! That grey haze by the sea is so unmistakably British, we get it at our local pier too. Never spoils the charm, it adds to it! Adorable outfit, time for long sleeves now so it's nice to see some pics of bare limbs before we are truly in tights and coats territory. Oh, and the double headscarf trick?! Brilliant x

4. October 13, 2016 / 4:01 pm

These photos are absolutely beautiful! I love waking up early to go shoot blog photos. Sadly, I'm pretty far away from any piers but these photos are giving me a big case of wanderlust!

Lee – leethrifts.com

5. October 13, 2016 / 4:07 pm

So awesome that you got to take these photos while no one was around! That's so wonderful that you finally made it happen. Gorgeous photos too! Well worth it indeed! <3

6. October 14, 2016 / 3:18 am

That is so great that you were able to get these pictures without any one else in the way! It just wouldn't have been the same if there had been crowds around.
    This is a lovely nautical outfit too- so perfect for the background. And yes, I definitely think of scenery as backdrops for my blog too. . . haha.
    The Artyologist

7. October 14, 2016 / 8:29 am

Cromer? I think my mum goes to shows at the theatre there.

Your outfit looks really lovely, and the soft light is so flattering – bright sunlight is the worst for most portraits as it causes such horrible harsh shadows. Well worth getting up for!

8. October 14, 2016 / 12:08 pm

How lovely to have the whole place to yourself and these photos are so beautiful! Love your outfit and that bag is amazing! I really want the pin-wheel brooch now, it's so cute!! x

9. October 14, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Your getting up early paid off with some magazine worthy photos.

Really gorgeous!

10. October 14, 2016 / 8:57 pm

Great outfit, wow no one around and great lighting. amazing. Great idea.

1950s menswear

11. October 15, 2016 / 5:00 am

I think it's just about every bloggers dream, to not have people looking at you while your taking photos somewhere! Gorgeous photos on that wonderful pier, I would love to take photos on a pier like that one! xo

12. October 16, 2016 / 6:47 am

I agree with Camilla, it must be every blogger's dream to be able to prance around in a public space taking photos for as long as you want without a soul in sight!! I do love the light here, and the pier is absolutely gorgeous… As is your outfit! So cute and summery, this is a perfect look! ❤

13. October 18, 2016 / 10:43 am

Well done for getting up early to beat the crowds! I always promise myself I will, but then never bother in the end. It was so worth it for these gorgeous pictures! Your outfit compliments the scenery impeccably! And B got some amazing shots here too!

14. October 21, 2016 / 2:21 pm

Such a wonderful outfit and your hair looks amazing!

15. Anonymous