Outfit: bringing sunshine to autumn

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t have a huge amount of love for autumn. By all accounts, it’s pretty inseparable from winter over here most years and I just don’t like dressing for the cold. I’m trying to embrace it a bit more again this year, helped by the fact it’s not been too dreadful yet.
It’s not been sunnier though! As I stare out the window now the sky is the thick cloud cover it was when I took these photos the other week. Same old same old. So, I have to make my own sunshine and that’s why mustard yellow is such a favourite of mine for the colder months. It’s a neutral and it’s just so cheerful. And the mustard boots I’m wearing here are really darn comfortable so they become such a staple at this time of year. In fact, it was around this time last year I took these photos with these same boots and bag… Where it turns out I was also banging on about how it’s autumn but not too cold again. How embarrassing…
Anyway, the jumper is new! It’s a top version of Collectif’s popular Olive dress and is deceptively warm. I wasn’t expecting the warmth, it’s not that thick! I was also expecting itchiness, because I have a real problem with jumpers driving my skin crazy, but actually there’s only minimal irritation. Minimal I can handle – minimal is probably as good as it gets for me! So that’s two thumbs up for this jumper, which is clearly going to go with tonnes of colours too, hurrah! But I do rather like the way it looks with sunny yellow…
Forest green and mustard yellow autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Stack of autumnal coloured vintage bracelets

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper

Forest green and mustard yellow 60s autumn look with Collectif Olive jumper
Hair flower: Collectif
Skirt: French Connection (old, so very old)
Tights: Primark (old)
Bag: Warehouse (old)
Boots: Clarks (old)
I hadn’t deliberately set out to feature some more of the lovely items Jessica sent me last year so soon after the catastrophic house fire that has, for now, destroyed her lovely shop business, but they serve as a reminder to keep this lovely lady in your thoughts and maybe send her a gift or two through the Facebook page, to help build her collection back up again.

1. October 25, 2016 / 12:48 pm

I love that your base layer is all one colour with your jumper and tights being the same. Creates a lovely building block to layer the rest of your look. I must remember to try that one. And the flash of yellow really lifts the look and makes it cheery. A must in this cloudy weather. I have been looking forward to Autumn this year because I always miss it. It goes from summer to winter in a flash. And those miserable rain clouds!!! Seems I have missed it again, it's miserable outside!

• October 25, 2016 / 12:57 pm

Yes I was quite pleased with that trick 😀 And also really pleased I had tights that matched my jumper, cos it's the simple things… Yes, it's pretty rubbish over here too. Ah well, Autumn, we hardly knew ye…

2. October 25, 2016 / 1:04 pm

GIRL! I love this outfit – the tights match the jumper perfectly, the mustard yellow details throughout. It is so well organized (my dream) and coordinated!! Applause all around!!

• October 28, 2016 / 12:14 pm

The only part of my life where I'm remotely organised is my outfits 😀 Seriously, you should see my desk at work and my non-existent calendar which means I never remember to turn up at anything I'm supposed to (until reminded by B)!

3. October 25, 2016 / 1:07 pm

Got to love those cloudy days and the perfect lighting they offer! Hurray for being warm, I am pleased to know that the jumper has minimum itch factor too.
    Much as I know you love summer, autumn suits you very well – these colours are wonderful on you and I have been enjoying all of the autumn outfits you have put together so far. Always great to see a 60s look on you, a decade that you wear so well that no one would do a double take should you ever find yourself in a time slip walking down Carnaby St…

• October 28, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Well, I love them when I'm taking photos but the rest of the time they're so darn depressing. The sky is exactly the same right now, in fact, and it makes me want to not leave the house!!

4. October 25, 2016 / 1:28 pm

I've got that #bring me sunshine# song in my head now! Super colours, I too am marvelling at the level of matchy matchy here. I have been wearing the dress version of that jumper quite a bit, it's so comfy and I don't find it itchy at all. I have been searching for a skirt a bit like yours. No luck yet. Have a super afternoon. At leasy it's not raining! X

• October 28, 2016 / 12:16 pm

If there's one thing I can do, it's matchy matchy 😉 I think I find the softest fabrics itchy – there's something about jumpers I can't abide at all. But this one is waaaaay better than most! x

5. October 25, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Such a lovely outfit and I love how you've made your own sunshine with the mustard yellow and especially with the yellow sun flower in your hair. <3

• October 28, 2016 / 12:16 pm

I kinda have to, as I haven't seen the sun for a while now 🙁

6. October 25, 2016 / 11:34 pm

I love the way you put this together. The sweater caught my eye straight away. It looks fab on you.

7. October 26, 2016 / 8:53 am

Oooh, nice jumper/tights matching there! I like that jumper a lot.

8. October 26, 2016 / 9:55 am

Such classic autumn colours with the green and mustard yellow, Love how your boot/bag and jumper/tights match, I also love you hair style like this! xo

9. October 26, 2016 / 10:59 am

These colours look so great together. I really like green, but I would never have thought of this shade with yellow – and what a perfect boots-tights-bag-jumper colour combo. I actually really like Autumn and that sense of change – spring does the same for me, but there's something even more enticing about autumn in my book! Kx

• October 28, 2016 / 12:17 pm

Ah, I'm a spring girl at heart! I'm just waiting for the day I can crack out my pastels again 😉 x

10. October 26, 2016 / 7:24 pm

I'm with you on struggling with what to wear in Autumn/Winter. I always feel like my coat has ruined my outfit! I wore my mustard April bow cardigan by Banned today… I love it, this style sits nicely at the waist too.

11. October 27, 2016 / 1:40 am

That looks like such a cosy jumper! The colours of this outfit are beautiful and it is so perfectly Autumn. The sunflower is such a nice touch to top off the look.. I really love that bag!! x

12. October 27, 2016 / 7:33 pm

I wish I could pull off mustard…you really make the autumnal colors sing!

13. October 28, 2016 / 12:15 am

What a cool color combo! I wouldn't have thought to put mustard with forest green like that, but you're really making it work.

• October 28, 2016 / 12:17 pm

By this point I'm convinced mustard goes with literally *everything* and I won't hear otherwise!

14. October 28, 2016 / 3:38 am

A great colour combination. Everything about your outfit works.

15. November 5, 2016 / 8:07 am

Love how you've made such a great autumn look still come across as cheery and bright, not just moody and "fall". You really make that mustard work girl! ❤

16. November 6, 2016 / 3:46 am

Mustard yellow is one of my fall/winter favourites too. Its deeper hue doesn't look out of place, but adds a much needed dose of bright colour!
    The Artyologist