Outfit: the Eiffel Tower is always a good idea

So here we go, the first of my two recent Paris sets! It doesn’t get more classic Paris than a trip to the Eiffel Tower and even though I’m terrified of heights and hate being on the thing, I still love visiting it. It’s one of the reasons that this year I’ve come to acquire no less than three wearable items with it on, of course including my birthday dress, but also this amazing skirt.
I get super nervous about buying border print midi skirts because I quite often alter the lengths and you just can’t do that with these. If there was going to be a skirt I risked it on, though, it was going to be this one. And yes, it is slightly longer than is my preferred length for a full skirt, but with heels I think I just about get away with it. I don’t buy a lot from Lindybop these days, as the sizing and quality is such a gamble, but for pieces like this they are such a good budget option.
As soon as I saw this little bow brooch as part of Erstwilder’s new birthday range I had the pink accents of this skirt in mind and one of my favourite pairs of holiday shoes that the weather is almost never good enough to wear in the UK. I’m really pleased with how it all looked together but a bit disappointed no one in Paris complimented it. Too tourist? Probably. I certainly felt like one but hey, I was one. Perhaps more surprisingly, three separate waitresses complimented me at length on my hair and makeup specifically (cue awkward conversations half in English and French – I can in fact speak a little French and read it fairly well but whenever anyone speaks it to me they may as well be talking Greek). In fact, one of them asked about my hair sponges which is partly what triggered my previous post about them. The funny thing was, it wasn’t any different to how I look in the UK, but I have never had a compliment from a waitress or any other passing stranger over here about my beauty regime. So I was either particularly on form, or Parisians love my style. I don’t think it’s a bad thing in either case, but I kinda hope it’s the latter.
Erstwilder Pretty Little Thing brooch in Paris
Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris
Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris

Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris
Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris

Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris

Lindybop Adalene border print midi skirt in Paris

Erstwilder Pretty Little Thing brooch

Erstwilder Pretty Little Thing brooch

Lindybop Adalene Paris border print skirt
Top: New Look (similar)
Belt: Marks & Spencer (similar)
Shoes: Topshop (old)
Bag: Ollie & Nic (old)
As much as I liked this outfit, it’s actually the second one I photographed in Paris that was the most spontaneous but my hands down favourite from the trip. So watch this space for that one…

1. August 30, 2016 / 1:27 pm

LOVE this! And that skirt!

No wonder why you were getting compliments everywhere. You look fantastic!

Kudos for getting such great pics nearby the tower. It is always so crowded there.

• September 5, 2016 / 12:28 pm

Yeah but never on the bloomin' clothes though! First world problems… We were rather pleased with this spot – but it's always tough on a sunny day, the lighting gets so out of whack. I kind of like the hazy, faded effect here though ๐Ÿ™‚

2. August 30, 2016 / 5:23 pm

I've never had a single stranger compliment me here in the UK, but I get loads of comments in the States – I think people here are just much more reticent, for some reason! Oh, actually, I tell a lie – I DID get one compliment over here, but it was from an American tourist, so I don't think it counts ๐Ÿ˜‰

• September 5, 2016 / 12:28 pm

We're all just big ol' meanies, that's what it is! I think I told a lie too because I did get a compliment in a supermarket here on my birthday – but I don't think they were UK native either…

3. August 30, 2016 / 7:38 pm

Tres jolie! What a pretty, pretty outfit. I wouldn't have thought to pair that pinky coral colour on the shoes and bag with that skirt, it looks wonderful though, and it has made me 'see' the pink in the skirt that I didn't notice at first. How lovely to have those compliments! And good on you for trying a bit of French. I can't wait to see your next Paris post. I'll catch up with it when we're back from Spain! xx

• September 5, 2016 / 12:30 pm

Well, it more often went that I would construct an entire sentence in French and then, embarrassed about my appalling accent, would ask B to actually say it. He'd mutilate it and I'd have to jump in to repeat it anyway!! Hope you're having a blast in Spain – very jealous ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

4. August 30, 2016 / 9:03 pm

You look amazing a always, and your pic quality is so good!!

• September 5, 2016 / 12:30 pm

I'm glad you say that as I wasn't that happy with these pictures – the lighting was really harsh. The other batch wasn't a fair comparison though – they're among the best I've ever taken!!

5. August 30, 2016 / 11:13 pm

Ahh but of course the people who gave the world Brigitte Bardot are going to love your hair! I am not at all surprised that your hair was a hit, it always looks wonderful but I can absolutely understand why the French love it even more so. Though I imagine it would have been a bit stressful working out how to explain how you do your hair in French – it is such a tricky language…I just can't do the pronunciations at all! I guess I am too uncouth ๐Ÿ˜›
    I really love in these photos how we get a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower without it stealing the attention away from you fabulous skirt, but rather, complimenting it instead ๐Ÿ˜‰

• September 5, 2016 / 12:31 pm

And actually my hair is a little Brigitte here! Hadn't seen that before. Trying to explain what the sponges were was an interesting experience, but I think she understood.
      Partly the glimpse of the Tower is because you can't get close without getting a million tourists in shot ;D

6. August 31, 2016 / 4:55 am

Well, I think you look just amazing in this outfit, I love the skirt and that cute little brooch by Erstwilder! Gorgeous photos as well! xo

7. August 31, 2016 / 10:34 am

That is one seriously head-turningly sweet outfit! What impeccable styling and attention to detail. I adore that we share a passion for often dressing in keeping with where we're traveling (as well other special occasions) and truly hope I can follow in your (chicer than chic!) footsteps one day with a trip to Paris and a Parisian (or at least otherwise thoroughly French) themed outfit, too.

xoxo โ™ฅ Jessica

• September 5, 2016 / 12:32 pm

Of course, it's half the fun to run with a theme, surely ๐Ÿ™‚ I hope you get to go one day, Jessica, I think you'd adore it all! xx

8. Anonymous
    August 31, 2016 / 10:39 am

Oh la la! you look fab Cici.

Very nice outfit, no wonder you got compliments from waitresses. No so many people dress like that in Paris, did you look around?

Well I hope you enjoyed your trip.

About your French, the key here is practising ๐Ÿ™‚

Je te souhaite une trรจs bonne journรฉe,

Eva (from Luxembourg/Germany)

• September 5, 2016 / 12:33 pm

Never on the clothes though… Le sigh. I'd still say the general dress rate is better than in the UK, traitor to my own country that I am…

I think it's a horrible truth that in this country we are generally poor with foreign languages – I wish they taught us them from early school age, I truly do! It's much harder to learn as an adult ๐Ÿ™

9. August 31, 2016 / 12:08 pm

What a delightful look. I love your bag with this outfit too. Kx

10. September 1, 2016 / 2:50 am

What a perfect outfit and the most perfect location to wear it!! Your hair and make-up always looks amazing. Love the brooch with this top and skirt too, it's one of my favourites from the new range x

11. September 1, 2016 / 4:10 am

A perfectly themed outfit- I love the print on that skirt! It looks like you had a lovely trip- can't wait to see the rest of the photos too.
    The Artyologist

12. September 1, 2016 / 8:34 am

That is a very cute outfit. Much nicer than what I saw on Parisians in Paris – what sticks in my mind there is scarves!

• September 5, 2016 / 12:33 pm

I missed a trick by not wearing a scarf at any point in my holiday! Noted for next time!

13. September 1, 2016 / 9:37 am

Such a pretty outfit, the skirt is really lovely x

14. September 2, 2016 / 4:49 am

You always look so lovely…I pour over your posts , always inspired.

• September 5, 2016 / 12:34 pm

Aw, thanks Ruby ๐Ÿ™‚

15. September 2, 2016 / 2:41 pm

A great outfit, I love the shoes and the bag together with the skirt. I actually have the same skirt and will probably publish some photos of it soon(ish) ๐Ÿ™‚ It's quite pretty, but it's surprisingly hard to pair it with tops even though in theory it should be easy – wear black, blue, white or pink, but in my case it didn't look quite right with anything I own.

• September 5, 2016 / 12:34 pm

I really like black and white stripey tops with this skirt, actually! I was going to do that for this outfit but even I know when to dial the cliches down a touch ๐Ÿ˜‰

• September 6, 2016 / 7:01 pm

Now that you mentioned stripes, I might actually have one top that should work with this skirt. It has navy stripes, but it's about as good as it gets with my closet!

16. September 6, 2016 / 10:17 pm

So cute! Love the bow brooch and I am so glad the Paris border skirt worked out! Such a lovely look. <3

17. September 9, 2016 / 9:21 pm

You look as though you belong in Paris! Maybe that's why you get so many compliments while your there, you are a Parisian at heart. Sewing pointer- you totally can have a border print skirt shortened. Instead of cutting fabric at the bottom, you cut it off the top and put the waistband back on. Move the pockets down if necessary. I'm sure that sounds like a lot of work, but it doesn't really take much more work than shortening from the bottom. Any seamstress can do it. I totally see more border prints in your future now! Wink!!!