Outfit: pink posies

Around the crazy house-moving period, I was determined to take some photos of a summer outfit, lest the whole of my favourite season pass us by with barely a sundress to be seen (the dog dress in my previous post ironically being snapped in spring)! It’s been a blessing and a curse moving house in summer – usually, it wouldn’t be a problem in the UK. Temperatures don’t get up much above 20 degrees Celsius, perfectly manageable to pack boxes in. But oh no, the two weeks we had to pack and move in were precisely the two weeks we had a ‘heatwave’ and temperatures were up around the high 20s and even early 30s. So not only did I miss prime sun-lounging weather, I also had to heft stuff around in that – which wouldn’t have been that bad, but heat in this country means humidity that makes it unbearable to even walk, so you can imagine how much fun that was and how well B and I got along during that nightmare.
We got through it though, as you do, and we did get out for this set of photos, taken after a long day of me sweltering in our old study while I worked my office job from home, which was like being trapped with a computer in a sauna (that house had serious air circulation issues). My hair had given up the ghost completely, I didn’t know what to do with it, but then, it came to me – this is what hats are for. And so this outfit was born! And then I went and spoiled it all by completely overdoing my make-up. It’s not coming across as Bobo the Clown in these pictures as it did in real life – thank you miracles of photography – but it’s definitely not my best work, folks. For some reason, I thought the answer to a face that had sweated off most of the make-up it had on by this point was to come back at it twice as hard. Lesson learned.
I should also add as far as this outfit goes that it’s also evidence of the fact I really haven’t had the spare cash to buy things this summer – every piece in this outfit has been in my closet for some time now. I’m sure I’ll get back to my bad old spending ways soon, but I am also working hard to not over-spend on things I don’t wear since changing my habits this year. This is a lot easier to do when you don’t have the money to waste in the first place 😉
All of this being told, I’m still glad we have this set even though I don’t look my best and the outfit’s not uber exciting, because it was the last batch we took in our favourite spot a few doors down from our rental house at the end of the road, which had the perfect floral backdrop for the occasion (remember how good the berries looked in winter?). And even though we’ve taken photos in this spot at least a half dozen times by now, of course it was during the very last time that the owners of the house I was in front of came and asked about what we were doing (in a nice way, they were thrilled we were using their house as a back-drop). C’est la vie.
Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look

Floppy sunhat and floral top

Banned Orient pink around bag

Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look

Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look

Floppy sunhat and floral top

Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look

Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look

Topshop criss-cross floral suntop

Floppy hat and Topshop suntop

Pink flowers, a floppy sunhat and the usual 50s inspired look
Hat: via ASOS (similar navy colourway)
Top: Topshop (old)
Belt: eBay
Skirt: Peacocks (very similar)
Bag: Banned
Shoes: c/o Sandgrens (no longer available)
Those who follow along on Instagram (@ciciandmarie) know I’ve just got back from an extra long weekend in Paris – there will definitely be outfits to share soon 🙂

1. August 18, 2016 / 8:34 pm

This is so gorgeous, such an elegant summery outfit! And that BAG!!! Ahh I love that bag. Good on you for revisiting older pieces in your wardrobe, I know how it is, you get excited about the new stuff and things that you haven't worn for a while just sit there. This is definitely something I am guilty of. From what I can see your makeup looks perfect as always, but I know only too well how gross it feels when it's a hot day and your makeup is melting. Not fun. I hope your new place will be full of equally beautiful backdrops for blog photos like this one and I am looking forward to all of your photos from Paris 😀

• August 22, 2016 / 12:36 pm

I love that bag too 😀 I wish I got the green one… I kind of can't justify having both though 😉 My makeup came out way better in the photos than it looked on my face, which was HEAVY, haha! I'm so excited to share the Paris pics – they're coming at the end of the month and beyond 🙂

2. August 18, 2016 / 9:25 pm

A perfectly pretty summer look. I love seeing that bag and those shoes again, and I've never seen that top before, so that was nice to have a gawk at, wardrobe voyeur that I am! I am impressed you went out for photos at all in the heat, and that you managed to put makeup on. I just melt in non-British temperatures and end up just wearing massive sunglasses to hide as much of my face as possible, whilst staying indoors in the cool in my pants. I'm really excited about your Paris photos, bring them on!! xx

• August 22, 2016 / 12:38 pm

This top is an oldie but a goodie, as they say. I wear it every summer and I adore it, but I try not to over wear it as I don't want it to fall to pieces 🙂 My face is so oily all the time that a bit of hot weather doesn't really do much worse than my own skin does. I've learned to deal with makeup constantly sliding off my face!! I'm excited about them too, one set in particular has come out supremely well – one of my best, I think 😀 xx

3. August 19, 2016 / 8:22 am

Super pretty look! I love to put old pieces together for a completely new look. Very elegant in these pictures, I wouldn't have a clue that your look hadn't been expertly planned and executed as per usual!

• August 22, 2016 / 12:40 pm

Well, it was planned… In that the hat was a bonus, but the rest I had thought would work together 😉 I'm just not that spontaneous…!

4. August 19, 2016 / 10:41 am

What a pretty summer outfit, love that floral top, your shoes and that bag from Banned! xo

5. August 19, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Love this outfit, that hat is gorgeous and it looks like it sits in place really nicely. A lot of my sunhats are quite floppy. Love the top too, the pink shoes and bag and the lovely skirt – such a wonderful summer outfit. Love the pink flowers in the background too. Moving during summer is the worst, I remember a very tiring move years ago.. It makes it even more tiring!

• August 22, 2016 / 12:41 pm

It just made us both really grumpy – it's so unusual this country is too hot to do something, so for it to clash with the one week that happened. I don't even remember getting a week like that at all last year! Sod's law…

6. August 19, 2016 / 2:59 pm

This outfit is so lovely! It doesn't matter at all that you haven't been able to buy new things this summer – I think using what we have in our closets is what makes us such good style bloggers. It doesn't have to be a sparkly new outfit to be a good one! You look amazing – despite the heat and stress it causes – and I adore the matching pink details!

• August 22, 2016 / 12:42 pm

I hope so 🙂 I always feel bad though when people can't buy the stuff I'm wearing as it's super old. Hence I always try to link to similar items out of guilt 😀

7. August 19, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Gorgeous outfit on what looks like a gorgeous day. Such a darling top. Too cute with the pink accessories. I'm glad you got to get out for at least one summer outfit photoshoot. Sorry you got stuck moving during the heat wave!

8. August 19, 2016 / 9:04 pm

I do not envy a move in the heat. It is 37 C with the humidex here today. Welcome to summer in Toronto. Freezing in winter and hot as Hell in summer.

The backdrop is perfect for this. Kudos for sticking with it after the neighbours came home. LOL

I love how light and breezy this looks, even if it was anything but that when you took the photos.

• August 22, 2016 / 12:43 pm

I've got used to the odd unwanted spectator – it's more awkward if they talk to you, but c'est la vie. It's a weird thing to be doing with your life, people gonna ask questions 😉

9. August 20, 2016 / 1:47 am

Gorgeous look, lady! Way to make the most of a little free time during a heatwave. Hats are, in fact, quite the bad hair day lifesaver, and you did a beautiful job building your outfit around the one you're wearing here. I love a good "black and white + whatever color" outfit, and the pink is the perfect color for you and for the summer. I will never not love that bag!

• August 22, 2016 / 12:45 pm

Black and white plus whatever is basically how I run this blog, when I'm not doing 'blue and red plus whatever', that is 😉

10. August 20, 2016 / 11:33 am

what a charming look!
    what a super charming look!
    what a very super charming look!
    the photo 640px05 is a work of art even if you dont show the shoes…
    Cheers!

• August 22, 2016 / 12:46 pm

I adore how you pic out favourite pics, I love seeing which ones you like 😀

11. August 21, 2016 / 2:42 am

You look like you are not sweating the move at all 🙂 Just lovely!

12. August 21, 2016 / 7:34 am

Love this pretty floral top ~ the strap detail is so unique and summery. It's a great look! Hope you and B are finding the settling down part of the moving smooth and easy, it's great when you feel like it's finally all done. ❤

• August 22, 2016 / 12:48 pm

We're getting there and I'm starting to feel really happy looking at certain rooms in my house 🙂 I get the feeling the work is never quite totally done though… xx

13. August 22, 2016 / 1:58 pm

Oooohhh, CiCi darling, these photos are dazzlingly gorgeous – as is your awesome ensemble. What a beautiful set of images you've captured here. The flowers in the background are pure magic and compliment the pinks in your look sublimely. I'm totally smitten and can't stress how much I adore everything at work here (that awesome handbag very much included).

Tons of hugs & heartfelt thanks for all of your wonderful recent blog comments,
    ♥ Jessica

14. Anonymous
    August 22, 2016 / 3:37 pm

You see Cici, pink is good on you!
    I know it wasn´t your cup of tea before, but some accents of my all time fav colour make wonders, don´t they?
    I completely understand you about "high" temperatures and humidity. I´m from Spain and I´m used to hot weather but dry please. I have never sweat soooo much as when I was living in Dublin and the weather was over 17 Celsius! I couldn´t stand it.
    Anyway, at least you had some beautiful weather and you enjoyed it, didn´t you?
    Autumn is around the corner, with means rain and rain and more rain. So, if the sun is shining, take the chance and enjoy it as much as you can.

Have a great last week of August,

Eva (from Luxembourg/Germany)

15. August 24, 2016 / 12:12 am

Your colour matching is on point as ever! Your make up looks fine here, and I'm sure it's not as bad as you thought! I love the background colours, it all goes so well!

16. August 25, 2016 / 10:23 am

How cute is your bag! It reminds me of my Sindy vanity case, which I used to use as a bag until the handle started to split 🙁

Your Bobo the Clown comment made me laugh! I saw a neighbour the other day who I thought had accidentally overdone her make up, but it seems that's the look she goes for, as it's always the same x

17. August 26, 2016 / 3:29 am

Very pretty outfit- and definitely not Bobo the Clown! (That situation does sound familiar though. The day I got my passport photo taken, I was having one of those makeup days. . . so now I have a passport photo to remind me of it for the next ten years. sigh.)
    Anyways, this is a very nice outfit- and the straps are really unique too. And I always love a good floral pattern!
    The Artyologist

18. Ally
    August 28, 2016 / 6:11 pm

Discovered (possibly rediscovered…) Lindy Bop this weekend and thought of you so remembered to pop by – so excited to see you've completed on your new place and seen Paris, especially when things were looking bleak when we caught up last in Newport (now scarily long ago…) Hope to see you in September. Ax

• September 16, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Aw nice to hear from you Ally! Yes, all is going very well now, but felt like it was going to be very difficult until it all suddenly fell into place at once. Hope to catch you too! x