Outfit: radio days

You know, I’m never unhappy about being born in these times, despite my love for the fashions of the past. To me, the internet is one of the most incredible inventions there has ever been and I do love that I remember life before it – and that I didn’t have to live too long without it! So no, I have no lust for the real life radio days, but I do, however, absolutely love radio and pretty much every day in my house is a radio day in terms of how regularly I listen to it.
I feel like fewer and fewer people listen to a good old fashioned radio these days, but having several of them in my home is an absolute must (although I admit I prefer the more modern DAB iterations for the huge range of stations). I listen every morning as I get ready for work and I particularly listen at the weekend – especially when B and I are pottering around in the kitchen. I’m addicted to BBC Radio 2’s Sounds of the 60s show that comes on Saturdays between 8-10am – it’s absolutely worth being up early for (not that this is early by my body clock’s standards!). I highly recommend this show – it’s impeccably well curated, full of amazing facts and plays the best music from what I think is the best era for music so far.
Anyway, all this is leading me to say that I equally love this charming radio brooch by Erstwilder. I love it even more because it was a surprise gift from them – an extra they put in my review package as a 30th birthday gift. So it will always be extra special to me and a nice reminder of a very happy day in my life – I can only thank them for that. What a cool company, seriously. It’s a lovely coincidence that it’s a similar colour to one of my own actual radios, so of course it had to feature in this little photoshoot. It’s one of my two beloved DAB radios (other colours currently selling for Β£30 which is a bargain by the way – link below) and I won’t be happy until every room in my house has a cute little retro DAB to fill the air with the sounds of good music!
Cute 50s inspired casual jeans outfit with Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Banned Winnie top and Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

John Lewis DAB retro radio in light blue

Cute 50s inspired casual jeans outfit with Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Banned Winnie top and Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Banned Winnie top with Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Cute 50s inspired casual jeans outfit with Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Banned Winnie top and Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch

Bamboo saddle shoes from Zulily

Cute 50s inspired casual jeans outfit with Radio Shack Erstwilder brooch
Belt: free from a skirt
Radio: John Lewis (available colours)
If you’ve read this far, bonus fact for you: B and I waded through weeds that were up to well above my knees to get these shots…
Β

1. July 17, 2016 / 7:29 am

Totally worth walking through grass to get these shots. Very cute look! I do love a vintage style radio, super stylish and always great to have music on in the background.

• July 21, 2016 / 5:56 pm

At the time I didn't agree, but looking at them now I'm glad I braved the scratches πŸ˜‰

2. July 17, 2016 / 8:24 am

Weed-wading was worth it! Great shots, loving the radio prop. I like Sounds of the Sixties too! Also Liza Tarbuck on a Saturday night plays some great stuff, lots of soul. Desmond Carrington on a Friday night is more obscure but some quirky gems. That colour blue is great on you xx

• July 21, 2016 / 5:57 pm

Yay, glad you're a fellow Sounds of the Sixties listener – but of course you are, you have great taste πŸ˜‰ We do listen to Desmond Carrington sometimes too, but Sounds of the Sixties is the only one I won't miss xx

3. July 17, 2016 / 10:58 am

Great outfit and photos, love that blue top and that Erstwilder radio brooch together! xo

4. July 17, 2016 / 2:39 pm

I think it was worth wading through the weeds – these shots are so sweet! I like the jeans and the peasant top, which reminds me a little bit of the outfit Marilyn Monroe wore through most of River of No Return. It was great of Erstwilder to include such a perfect little extra for you for your birthday – it's very you.
    I don't listen to a ton of radio, but I do like listening to NPR. I would love to have a pretty little vintage radio in the house.

• July 21, 2016 / 5:59 pm

It was so difficult balancing on that fence as well, but fortunately the muscle tensing doesn't show in the photos πŸ˜€

5. July 17, 2016 / 5:31 pm

Wow! Your efforts for fabulous photos didn't go unrewarded! Each of the photos could be the front of a magazine cover. VERY impressed!

Also your skin is flawless.

• July 21, 2016 / 6:00 pm

My skin tends to have a little help in the spot erasing department… I can't stand my skin most of the time to be honest!!

6. July 17, 2016 / 9:31 pm

Awesome outfit and shoot location! Blue is always breathtaking on you. What a pretty place to grab some snaps. I adore serene country settings like this so much (I hear you on the weeds – we've traversed some pretty crazy/rugged terrain in the name of a good backdrop before, too).

You're not alone in your passion for radio. We have one in our living room, plus satellite radio in both the house and car. It's the #1 way that I listen to music, hands down.

Big hugs & happy mid-July wishes,
    β™₯ Jessica

• July 21, 2016 / 6:02 pm

The funny thing is that this location is actually on the edge of the most bland housing estate where you'd never go unless you lived there – but this little frame for some photos worked so perfectly. Glad you are a fellow radio lover πŸ™‚ xx

7. July 17, 2016 / 11:42 pm

I love this oultfit, it's adorable! It's sch a casual sweetheart look and the colour really suits you, well worth wading through weeds for!

8. July 18, 2016 / 1:10 am

LOVE these photos so much!!! What a gorgeous little spot, the little daisies are such a nice little feature to compliment these beautiful photos. Well worth walking through the weeds for to get to. How fitting that the brooch you received just so happens to match your very own radio – and what a cute vintagey little radio it is too. I confess I have almost bought a cute vintage looking radio myself, although I ended up talking myself out of it since I don't actually listen to the radio – I just love how pretty vintage radios look. Much as I love the internet however, I'm really grateful that the internet wasn't big yet for a good deal of my childhood so that I could enjoy playing outside. I remember all that was over for me when Neopets came out when I was around 10 or so πŸ˜›

• July 21, 2016 / 6:04 pm

As I say above, it was a little shot of perfection on the edge of a really dull housing estate, so just goes to show beauty can be found in the most unlikely places! Ha Neopets! I'd totally forgotten about them but I was obsessed too.

9. July 18, 2016 / 1:37 pm

I can't even handle how cute this post is and how adorable you look in these jeans, the top, and your little radio brooch to match the actual radio! AND THE SHOES!! So so cute and such a fun look!!

10. Anonymous
    July 18, 2016 / 3:54 pm

Oh my dear! the colour combination is perfect!
    No need to say you look gorgeous πŸ™‚

YouΒ΄re going to match Jessica for the selection of colours in your outfits πŸ˜‰

Have a great 3rd week of July

Eva (from Luxembourg/Germany)

• July 21, 2016 / 6:04 pm

Wow, now that's a compliment Eva – Jessica is so fab with colours πŸ˜€

11. July 19, 2016 / 2:26 am

I really like the fitted silhouette of your peasant top. Sometimes peasant tops can be so poufy and blousey- but this is really great. And even better as it matches your brooch πŸ™‚ Such a fun casual outfit.
    The Artyologist

• July 21, 2016 / 6:05 pm

Yes definitely – I much prefer the fitted peasant tops. Banned and Hell Bunny are killing it in that arena lately πŸ™‚

12. July 19, 2016 / 8:32 am

I love your outfit, it's a very good inspiration for someone who rarely wears trousers. I just wish those jeans would be highwaisted on my 5'8 frame as well, but sadly that is never the case (except with Collectif's Lily shorts, which I bought after reading your blog post about them). Yesterday I tried on a pair on jeans which were supposed to be high waisted, but they barely reached above my hips… That was barely where a normal waistline should be. I guess it's because of the main fashion that focuses on trousers having low waist and that's why it's gotten all twisted… Or maybe it's just my height πŸ˜€

I love Erstwilder's brooches, they're so high quality, but expensive. I own 3 of them and want so many others, but I have to have at least a little bit of self control and buy only the things that are important. (Who said brooches aren't important? ;P)

• July 21, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Yeah these ones wouldn't be high-waisted on you but I'm glad if the Lily shorts worked for you πŸ™‚ I have found Collectif's high waisted stuff to be coming up a lot more high waisted in the last year or so, so they're worth keeping an eye on for jeans I think.

13. July 21, 2016 / 1:42 pm

Omg these photos are stunning!! Love the outfit and the brooch is too cute with the top. I mainly listen to radio when in the car, usually the popular stations when out with my mum or best friend. Though when I am out with my brother we listen to the community channel and the people are interesting + they give us a good laugh.

14. July 27, 2016 / 6:07 pm

So awesome of Erstwilder to send you the free birthday brooch! They really do have some amazing customer service there! I love that one of your radios at home match this brooch. So perfect. And I love the outfit you picture here. The shoes really finishing everything off nicely! πŸ™‚

15. August 25, 2016 / 10:03 am

Fellow Sounds of the Sixties listener here!
    How nice that you were sent the brooch as a gift! We pulled a Bush radio out of a communal bin once, put there ad the battery had gone. Thankfully we found it before it ended up in landfill x