Outfit: I fought the wind – and the wind won

This post could have also been called: ‘Every time I go to the Norfolk coast I almost get blown away’ with either of the following subtitles; ‘So why do I think it’s a good idea to wear a big skirt and take photos of it?’ or, my favourite, ‘So why am I choosing to get married there?!’… Clearly, I’m mad. And clearly I also like really long titles (or at least, I’ve had to come to like them, working in academic publishing as I do).
Mad or not, I do seem to keep forgiving/forgetting how breezy this part of the country can be. It’s such a romantic idea to get photos with a seaside backdrop, but the reality is the photos below + the 100-odd I couldn’t use, largely for reasons of indecent exposure. Do you want to know something even more crazy? These photos were taken on the side verge of a very busy road – one of those roads in the middle of nowhere where cars constantly go by. Should I be offended I didn’t get beeped, even after flashing my underwear at several of them? Yeah, I kind of am offended about that, actually. Hmph.
That’s what this year has been like – photos for this blog are taken in and around our hectic schedule by the side of the road for running out of time to find somewhere better. But yes! That is the sea you can vaguely see in the background of some of these shots. Romantic though…? Nope. I have to hope our wedding will fare better for romance, even in the face of extreme winds – which, I’ll admit, I am meticulously planning for, because I’d rather have a battle plan next time…
So, wind, you haven’t won the war yet…
Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes

Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes

Headscarf and breton cardigan

Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes

Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes

Carvela ghillie red shoes

Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes

Headscarf and breton cardigan
Casual 50s inspired outfit with headscarf, full skirt and ghillie shoes
Headscarf: c/o Chronically Vintage
Cardigan: Jane Norman (old)
Skirt: Lindy Bop ‘Peggy’, shortened to 26″ (all available colours)
Shoes: Carvela
The last time I wore this skirt for the blog, by the way, I was in the same town and it was just as windy. Yet, somehow, the pictures came out much better then? Oh well, if you want to see this skirt when it’s not around my thighs, check it out.

1. Melanie
    June 16, 2016 / 12:13 pm

What a sweet outfit! You look lovely.

Ahh, the wind and full skirts! My first experience of such was aged eleven, on a Saturday afternoon in a busy area of a built up city. The wind caught my circle skirt and blew it way above my head, leaving the shy me, absolutely mortified!

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:37 pm

Sounds traumatising! I'm not sure I'd ever wear one again if that happened to me..>!

2. Porcelina
    June 16, 2016 / 12:25 pm

Uber cute! I really like the pics of you holding the skirt down, they're adorable. Like a really bashful version of one of those Elgren pinup girls! I meant to ask you about the length of Lindybop skirts, as I saw on Instagram you have the Paris print one? Did you have to shorten it? They look short on the model on their website, or perhaps she's very tall!

I do hope your wedding planning has been going a little smoother than when we last spoke xx

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:38 pm

There were many that weren't so adorable, but hey, if one or two work out nevermind 😉 The Paris print one I didn't shorten – I feel like that one was marginally shorter than the Peggy here, which was probably 27 or so inches before I hacked it. As with all their things, I think it totally depends on the style…

Wedding planning is in full swing – as you now know, I have the dress already! xx

3. SaraLily
    June 16, 2016 / 1:30 pm

You know, the ones of you standing with the wind blowing your skirt are actually quite pretty! I like the movement in the fabric – even though taking them was such a pain!! Also, you probably didn't get any honks because they were too busy laughing at your agony! 😉

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:39 pm

It was not my fave shoot, but for these few pics it was nearly worth the massive mission… Nearly 😉 True, I'm sure there was more than one person who laughed at me as they passed!

4. Amber
    June 16, 2016 / 2:33 pm

Aww, I think these photos are gorgeous – well worth battling the wind for!

5. June 16, 2016 / 11:35 pm

Such a darling, nautical inspired look to sport by the sea. My all time fav colour combo!

6. Jessica
    June 17, 2016 / 1:08 am

Very cute! I love those lace up shoes, I've been thinking about getting a similar pair for a while now. A lovely and perfectly coordinated look all around.
    I actually love what a good gust of wind brings to a set of photos. It can be a bit of a struggle in the moment, but I think the pictures that you got are really lovely. These photos make me thinking of a Waterhouse painting; I think it's called Boreas? You should Google it, it's very pretty.

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:39 pm

I will have to check that out. I don't mind being compared to a painting at all 😉

7. June 17, 2016 / 1:38 am

Ooh, these photos turned out so cute even with the wind! I know how annoying it is when the wind pushes your skirts against your legs, and you can't get a decent shot… But I love the sitting poses, and I think you made it work beautifully! All the colours are gorgeous too. 😀 ❤

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:40 pm

The sitting poses were entirely out of necessity, but I'm at least pleased we got some to work!!

8. June 17, 2016 / 8:41 am

Really loving the contrasting stripes and polka dots together! It's a lucky thing you had that headscarf to keep your hair from sticking right up. The second photo of you holding your skirt is very Marilyn-esque and you look so elegant and composed when I can imagine you were probably fuming at that annoying wind. I would love a pair of those shoes in cream, black and red – the style is fantastic and they look like they would be comfortable too!

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:41 pm

I'm not good at clashing patterns, so I made a real effort here that I'm glad didn't go un-noticed 😀 Ha, you're completely right, I was so angry this whole shoot! I have these shoes in black two and I genuinely wear both pairs all the time. My best spring/summer investment so far!

9. Cate
    June 17, 2016 / 9:14 am

I actually really love these photos, they're so cute and kind of Marilyn Monroe-esque. I adore those shoes, I'm off to their website in a second to have a look.
    And by the way, despite the weatherman predicting sunshine on my wedding day, it poured with heavy rain the entire time! I was also bridesmaid when I was about 13 and it was the end of May. We had a freak snow storm and all of us were dressed in flimsy summer dresses. The photos were hilarious! I guess what I'm saying is be prepared for anything!

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:42 pm

They're a bargain these shoes – I highly recommend them! Far superior quality to some of the awful ones I tried in New Look, for sure.

I'm so glad you said your wedding day poured with heavy rain – although obviously that's horrible for you, but I'm so sure it's going to happen to me so at least now if it does I won't feel so alone 🙂 It seems like every time I go to a wedding there's gorgeous weather, I've never yet been to one with bad weather. So it's bound to happen to me…

10. Camilla P
    June 17, 2016 / 9:57 am

Beautiful photos, I really love the ones where your holding down your skirt! Love those red shoes as well! xo

11. Kayla
    June 18, 2016 / 11:21 am

These photos are absolutely gorgeous, love the ones of you holding your skirt down – so glam even though it gets tough fighting the wind. Those shoes are so pretty too! x

12. December
    June 18, 2016 / 6:47 pm

Sounds like an epic battle! But you came out of it with some epically great pictures, so maybe you can call it a draw this time 😉 Hope the wedding photos are everything you hope for – I am imagining you interviewing potential photographers… "So, how do you feel about wind?" "Do you have any examples of weddings you have shot where it was very windy?"

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:43 pm

You joke, but I genuinely am going to ask them about how they handy windy situations as one of my first questions!!

13. June 19, 2016 / 4:41 am

Gorgeous outfit and gorgeous photos! Despite the wind and you having to take your blog photos around your hectic schedule your photos do not suffer anything! <3 As lovely as ever CiCi!

14. June 19, 2016 / 8:20 pm

The playful breezes here are such a wonderfully lovely touch. Sometimes wind can wreck havoc on a shoot (I speak from firsthand experience), but you guys were able to let it work to your advantage here, as these shoots seem far more sweet and fun than completely overrun by stormy gales – so much so, that, I swear, you're making me wish for a windy day + full skirt outfit of my own to take a shoot cue from.

Very pretty outfit, sweet Cici. Those shoes are so stunning and I'm sincerely touched that you included that scarf from my shop as part of this delightful look. Thank you very much for doing so.

Tons of hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

• ciciadmin
      June 20, 2016 / 12:43 pm

Hehe if only they had been playful and not 45mph wind, which is what it probably was… I don't know why we even tried in such conditions, but at least I got a few pictures I could use out of it…

Very happy to feature your lovely scarf 🙂 x

15. Mim
    June 23, 2016 / 8:34 am

Norfolk is a breezy place! There are no hills to get in the way.

16. July 9, 2016 / 1:58 am

Even though it was windy and annoying to take pictures, I love how these turned out! The wind created some fantastic movement in your skirt. And this outfit is gorgeous too, as always. I'm loving your striped cardigan and the length of your skirt.

Jamie | PetitePanoply.com