Outfit: fabulous flowers (and the not-so-glamorous side of blogging)

You know those times when you have one accessory that is so fabulous, you have to create an entire outfit around it? This is one of those times, you won’t be surprised to hear. The accessory is the Harmonious Hydrangeas necklace from the new floral Erstwilder range. It’s hard not to fall in love with all of the pieces in the collection, but something about this necklace particularly called to me.
It’s probably the red and blue colour combination – one of my all time favourites in its many varieties. Because I love matching, my whole outfit followed suit… I’m actually really pleased with how it turned out – my favourite outfits tend to be those that balance girly and casual for easy day wear and this one does that perfectly, for me.
It occurs to me that I often rabbit on about what I’m wearing and don’t often talk about the context of where and when I wore it. So, let me right that wrong by providing a glimpse into the dark side of fashion blogging… You see, when you have frankly enough going on in your ‘spare time’ that you are pretty much working a second full-time job, blogging gets a bit challenging. I didn’t actually know that I’d turn 30, get engaged and be simultaneously buying a house, so I couldn’t plan for a gap in services… But nor can I let down the companies I’m working with, like Erstwilder!
That’s probably why I found myself wearing this outfit for as long as it took to drive and get photos of it… before I then changed in the back of the car into another outfit I needed to get snaps of! Yes, changed in a CAR in BROAD DAYLIGHT just to get another set of photos. Praying all the while that no one would pass by and see what was going on… I mean, we picked somewhere we knew would be pretty quiet at the weekend, but I live in a city! And I thought changing on a beach was tricky. I hadn’t seen nothing yet. I’d like to say ‘never again’, but there’s still an awful lot of wedding planning and house sorting to do…
Am I the only one that’s done this?! It was a particular shame because I loved this outfit so much, but I’ll definitely be wearing it again this summer!
Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace

Casual 50s inspired outfit with Erstwilder Harmonious Hydrangea necklace
Hair flower: Retro Vixens (old)
Necklace: c/o Erstwilder
Top: GeorgeΒ @ Asda (old)
Skirt: Forever 21 (very similar)
Belt: Fever Designs (old)
Shoes: Heart Sandals, Swedish Hasbeens (still available in ‘high’)
Bag: Ollie & Nic (similar)

1. May 24, 2016 / 12:31 pm

Again, you are bang on about the realities of blogging, I have definitely done an outfit change in the car before – ahh the not so glamorous side of blogging! But you know how it is, when the weathers good and you have the time it's good to get in as many outfit photos as you can. That Erstwilder necklace is fabulous, I don't see their necklaces styled as often as their brooches!

• May 24, 2016 / 12:37 pm

Phew, I am so glad it's not just me!! I know what you mean about their necklaces – which is a shame, because some are so pretty, like this one! x

2. May 24, 2016 / 1:00 pm

Sigh, I feel you. But hey, if you never told us you changed into this outfit in a car, we'd never ever know. It just looks like you're out and about in an adorable outfit, snapping pics! Smooth, very smooth. While I haven't changed in a car (I do most of my photographing in my own yard or around my property), I have definitely shot a couple outfits in a row and did quick changes in my house just for the sake of photographing them, never wearing them outside the front door! Haha!

• May 25, 2016 / 12:19 pm

I perhaps should have stressed this was the 'before' outfit!! So maybe the second one doesn't look quite as smooth…!

3. May 24, 2016 / 1:56 pm

I haven't ever changed in the car (much too lazy for that!), but I have worn something purely for the sake of taking photos of it: I don't do it often, but if it's a brand collaboration, then as you say, you just can't expect them to wait until you have the perfect occasion to wear the thing – sometimes you just have to wear it, photograph it, then get changed! Definitely worth it, though, for such gorgeous photos!

• May 25, 2016 / 12:19 pm

Exactly, particularly if you're sent some sort of party dress! I barely have a social life, let alone go to parties!

4. May 24, 2016 / 2:53 pm

This is such a sunny, pretty look, I love all of it – the necklace of course, and those sunglasses are pretty fab too. I did chuckle that you were getting changed in your car, because I'd been changing in mine too, (but out of being cold, not for blogging!). I don't think I've shot 2 outfits in one day yet, I tend to space them out. I'm sure that will come soon – I'm feeling the pressure also of working, blogging, and life stuff. I'm so behind on reading other people's blogs too, I feel a bit out of the loop this week. Hopefully I will get a bit of down time on the weekend to read and blog, but I know we're away at a festival for at least one night. Summer you see, lots more events on weekends.

Hang in there, I know it's busy but it will all be worth it!!

• May 25, 2016 / 12:21 pm

Ha at least your changing in a car was for practical rather than vanity reasons πŸ˜‰ I really don't want to do two in one day again any time soon, but boy it's tough at the moment! I thought I was going to have my first quieter weekend this weekend, but now we're going back to our potential wedding venue again, this time with parents and in-laws in tow. I don't think you can call that quiet!! xx

5. May 24, 2016 / 7:51 pm

How do you manage to get changed in a car and still look this glam! As always I'm envious of your eye and ability to put together such a neat oultfit, I need your flawless clothes skills!

Kariss x

• May 25, 2016 / 12:22 pm

Ha, as I said above, this was pre-change! So maybe that's how… but actually I did have to put some real thought into hair and make-up that would go with both and be easy to change slightly, so a small amount of planning involved too… x

6. May 24, 2016 / 11:10 pm

Oh wow, this is so cute! I really love the gingham top (like, I'm kind of annoyed it's old and not something that I can buy for myself), and the floral necklace is a great touch with it. I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of this combination this summer!
    That's so funny that you ended up changing in the back of a car. I mean, as long as you were wearing underwear… πŸ˜›

• May 25, 2016 / 12:23 pm

Collectif seem to come out with something similar here and there, but I've never quite seen another one exactly like this top, to be fair. It's one of my favourites for summer. And yes, I definitely had underwear!!!

7. May 25, 2016 / 1:33 am

Such a cute outfit, I love that Erstwilder necklace with the gingham top. I have changed in the car once for a outfit photos because it was forecast to rain for a week! Sometimes you just have to do it..

• May 25, 2016 / 12:23 pm

It's always forecast to rain for a week here, so perhaps I should keep outfit back ups in my car more often…

8. May 25, 2016 / 5:33 am

Oh I love this outfit on you, I adore that Erstwilder necklace, hair-flower and those sunnies (because I own the same pair) xo

9. May 25, 2016 / 8:06 am

Gorgeous outfit, sweet CiCi. I hear you loud and clear about the challenges of finding time to take outfit photos, especially when life comes at you in hefty sized chunks, and commend your dedication – and ability to get dressed in a car (no easy task at the best of times). One trick, if a person found themselves needing to do so often, is to sew (or hang with shower curtain hooks) a dark sheet vertically from a sturdy hula hoop with an opening slit and then shimmy in their (while someone else holds it up) to get dressed with a greater degree of privacy (I've seen this done at vintage fashion shows before where dressing rooms weren't available).

Big hugs,
    β™₯ Jessica

• May 25, 2016 / 12:24 pm

It really wasn't very easy to get changed in a car! Apart from the silliness of the situation, it was actually on a practical level pretty challenging. I like the idea of a curtain to protect your modesty – that would be a great idea!

10. May 25, 2016 / 8:32 am

That necklace is lovely colours – a good source of inspiration!

11. May 25, 2016 / 12:15 pm

Gorgeous outfit, and gorgeous lady! You sound SO busy, so it totally makes sense, haha thats pretty hilarious and brave that you were able to change in the back of a car in the city! I haven't done that, but i've changed twice in a day for blog photos for sure!

• May 25, 2016 / 12:25 pm

I probably could have gone home, got changed, and come out again, but it would have added on time we didn't have so I had to just get on with it to get both done, really. Certainly not ideal…!

12. May 26, 2016 / 9:45 am

Oh, another one of your super cute outfits! I don't like denim much, but that skirt is actually very pretty and works out perfectly with the top, which has to be my favourite part of your outfit πŸ™‚ It's so cute I'd like to have a similar one myself (to pair with denim of course :D)!

I haven't changed my clothes in a car, but in my teens I did change in the middle of the town. It was at the backyard of some store, but people inside the store might have as well seen me changing πŸ˜€ I think nowadays I'd prefer to change inside a restroom or if I'm outdoors, sneak into the woods. Either way people most likely won't stare or even care. πŸ™‚

• May 26, 2016 / 12:08 pm

Ah I'm the opposite, I can't get enough of denim! It's so easy to pair with things, it's warm and it's low maintenance – I don't really know where I'd be without it!

In the middle of a town is bold! I'm not quite there yet… And really I'd rather not be there at all!

13. May 26, 2016 / 1:09 pm

I have DEFINITELY done the changing in the back of the car thing before, fortunately on a fairly quite road though XD Oh, the fun of blogging! Generally I tend to photograph my daily outfits nowadays though when I'm wearing them, and mostly at home, so I don't get the opportunity (that's not quite the right word!) for it so much any more πŸ˜€ I have also changed behind a tree in the woods before too, way back in the blog when my sister and I did some photoshoots in various clothes and settings (I've just gone delving to find one of the posts for you! Here: http://www.rebelangel.co.uk/2011/07/masquerade.html :))
    I love this top by the way – I was thinking it was Collectif until I saw you mentioned George at Asda, wow! Such a lovely outfit altogether.

14. May 27, 2016 / 3:42 pm

Cute outfit! I love the gingham top and love the necklace. I really love the necklaces that Erstwilder makes though I've never had the opportunity to see them in person. They are really cute though in pictures! πŸ™‚