Outfit: a nod to mod

So here I am, dabbling in the 60s. As I said in my last post about my favourite 60s styles, this outfit is unusual because, for once, I’m not showing you anything that’s particularly new here. It mostly came about because I’d specifically set myself the challenge to wear this dress again, which had been languishing in my wardrobe since Christmas Day 2014. I also didn’t allow any new purchases for the cause, by which point my brain has pretty much lost interest, but I tempted it back with mint green and the promise of a beret…
And you know what, I love how this turned out! I felt super stylish, but for once not overdressed for a walk around the city centre. I felt like I came across as aΒ trend-setting fashionista too, as a group of local political activists to my left stopped what they were doing to watch me pose. And then they stole my cameraman – turns out that’s what they were really after. But I like to think I looked so good they assumed B was a professional photographer… Or something.
I’m not sad to soon say goodbye to winter and welcome spring, but this bright sunny day the colours in this outfit lifted my cold-weather spirits. Also – bonus – my bag is actually the camera bag I featured before, so only one bag to lug around for once. Fashionable and practical.
60s mod influenced pinafore dress outfit with white tights

60s style beret and low side ponytail look

60s mod influenced pinafore dress outfit with white tights
Beret: eBay
Top: ASOS (old)
Pinafore: New Look (old)
Tights: Primark
Shoes: so old I can’t remember
I am now waiting, excitedly, to find out if I am a winner of the Oxfam #vintagefaceandstyle competition, which I believe closes today…
Β

1. March 15, 2016 / 2:05 pm

Great look!

Have to admit the 60s mods era were a cool look even though its not my fav' era, its still a time of great style for men and women.

umhomemnacidade.com

• March 16, 2016 / 1:37 pm

It's one I'm certainly coming to appreciate more and more as time goes on. I can't resist Collectif's Bright and Beautiful range…

2. March 15, 2016 / 2:30 pm

Well hello there mod girl! I have to say I've never even considered white tights as an adult. Here, they work so well – it's that beret, tying it together! Glad I'm not the only one who literally can go a year without wearing something in my wardrobe… oops! Best of luck xx

• March 16, 2016 / 1:37 pm

Shame on you! You must rectify that immediately πŸ˜› I dread to think just how many things I haven't worn in a year :S xx

3. March 15, 2016 / 5:48 pm

I cannot wear white tights 'cos my legs are too fat, but they look fab on oyu. Isn't it great to pull something out of the wardrobe and make it sing again?

• March 16, 2016 / 1:39 pm

I don't think I'd want to wear a mini skirt with white tights – I think my thighs in white tights wouldn't present such a charming picture πŸ˜€ I think what I really loved about this is last time I styled it 50s, but it's versatile enough to become something totally different here.

4. March 15, 2016 / 8:34 pm

You really pull of the mod look well! I really enjoyed your last post about your favourite 60s styles too! I need to challenge myself to wear older pieces in my wardrobe too WITHOUT buying something new to wear with it – it is really hard!!

• March 16, 2016 / 1:39 pm

It's a hard challenge, but quite a rewarding one when you manage it! Still not as fun as buying new stuff, but there's only so many new things one can buy before one is very, very poor…!

5. March 15, 2016 / 10:49 pm

I like the white tights and beret tying everything together from top to toe. Lovely plaid dress, it is nice that you found another way to wear it. Wishing you well with the Oxfam thing.

• March 16, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Thank you πŸ™‚ Although I don't mind if Oxfam doesn't work out – it's great to raise awareness for their awesome online shop either way.

6. March 15, 2016 / 10:58 pm

You are the best for wearing white tights. Every time I've ever tried them I come out looking like a chunky nurse.

Love the whole look.

• March 16, 2016 / 1:41 pm

Ha I really doubt that! But glad to entertain…

7. March 15, 2016 / 11:19 pm

Very school girl chic! I think the pops of white make it feel a lot more fresh, and take a very fall/winter look more into spring.
    I've been meaning to get a camera bag, I forgot that you recommended this one! I'll have to look up the company and see if they've got something that would suit me.

• March 16, 2016 / 1:42 pm

The sunny weather helped too πŸ˜€ I really love this camera bag – it's really well made and sturdy. You do pay for quality, but in this case totally worth it (largely because it was a gift from my parents anyway for my birthday, ha!)

8. March 16, 2016 / 10:31 am

I love this outfit, you look amazing! I really like your lip shade too.. I still need to buy a white beret after seeing how good yours looks. Oh and that camera bag is so pretty, I need one of those too haha x

• March 16, 2016 / 1:42 pm

You could definitely rock a white beret, Kayla! x

9. March 16, 2016 / 1:17 pm

White tights, why don't I have white tights!!!! Such a stylish, fresh look! Fingers crossed for your oxfam competition.

• March 16, 2016 / 1:43 pm

I certainly don't wear these all the time but every now and then they're so much fun. Thank you for the crossed fingers! Even if it goes nowhere I'm pleased to raise awareness for their shop πŸ™‚

10. March 16, 2016 / 7:08 pm

You are so right that this worked. I would never have thought about topping and tailing the dress with white, but it has worked brilliantly. I don't have any white tights, but I have been tempted when I have seen other bloggers show them off, and your post might just be the push I need! Kx

• March 20, 2016 / 7:04 pm

I actually quite like the top-and-tail matching method, it's served me well many times before πŸ™‚ Get the white tights, they're such fun! x

11. March 17, 2016 / 3:19 pm

I love the white tights with the white beret! I wore my white tights loads last year, but for some reason this year I haven't, maybe I'll give them a last hurrah before it warms up!

• March 20, 2016 / 7:05 pm

I don't think you have to rush… Spring, my foot!

12. March 18, 2016 / 9:22 pm

Love this outfit! And it's so great that you were able to take a dress you haven't worn in a while and style it in a way that you love! I know all too well how once you have a collection of dresses it's so hard not to have some fall in the wayside unintentionally untouched for a while. Glad you were able to take this one out for a spin!

13. March 21, 2016 / 6:18 am

Really lovely, classic outfit. This colour palette is extremely becoming on you, sweet gal.

Tons of hugs & happy start of spring wishes!
    β™₯ Jessica