Outfit: purple rain

If there was ever an object I couldn’t live without, it would be an umbrella. I don’t know what it’s like for people outside the UK, but I never – and I mean never – leave house without one. Doesn’t matter what season it is, you never know when you’re about to get wet over here.
True story: B downloaded an app called Rain Alarm, which pretty accurately predicts when there’ll be a shower and alerts you so you can get the heck indoors. Only, the darn thing went off so often that he had to turn the notifications off. It became kind of hilarious – every time his phone buzzed it was because of a nearby cloud rather than, you know, a human contacting him or something. When he was still using it, I remember vividly when we were down by the coast on a glorious sunshiny day, taking a stroll along a cliff top with not a cloud in the sky… the minute we sat down on a bench to admire the view Rain Alarm told us we were about to get soaked. We were incredulous, but let’s just say the app had the last laugh. Until he muted it (ha!). Now, we just leave our random soakings to chance and bad British luck again like everyone else around here.
This was all a lot of preamble to tell you that I frankly couldn’t not have a brooch with a girl holding an umbrella on it. I am that person with their umbrella out at the first tiny drop of rain who everyone looks at like ‘Geez, stop being such a princess… your hair’s already gone fluffy anyway’ (little do they know how much worse it can get). So, this brooch is one of Erstwilder‘s popular styles and they release it in a different colourway every now and then and, well, I quite liked this one in the new range that launched today (check out the amazing Pinup Picnic brooches by the way), partly because I don’t have a lot of purple. Although, this is slowly changing as I happened to snag a purple skirt in Collectif’s amazing winter sale for a mere £6 a few weeks ago. By the way, this Tammy style is absolutely perfect for the short among us – I’m glad I snapped this one up (note: I’m wearing it with my PUG canvas underskirt here).
While I don’t have enough purple in my closet yet, I certainly do have plenty of rain in my life…

Beret: Boohoo (old)
Bracelet: c/o Chronically Vintage
Skirt: Collectif
Tights: old
Shoes: ‘Chorus Voice’ Clarks (check eBay)
Bag: Collectif (similar)

1. Porcelina
    February 17, 2016 / 7:12 am

Adorable look, the purple amd white looks great on you (flashback to Daphne!). I love the new brooch. I am laughing over your rain app, it would certainly be a constant alarm here in Wales, where my weapon is a hat rather than a brolly – it's too windy generally so I stuff all my hair in a baker boy hat to keep it frizz free!

So, so polished – you look so elegant xx

• ciciadmin
      February 17, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Indeed, the belt was the one in the Daphne outfit, in fact! Honestly that app got irritating enough for us, I can't imagine what it would be like in Wales! You'd probably destroy your phone in rage after 12 hours of constant buzzing… xx

2. Camilla P
    February 17, 2016 / 9:45 am

I love that black and white striped top and your purple Beret…so stylish! 🙂

• ciciadmin
      February 17, 2016 / 1:14 pm

I've never seen another beret like this one – more brands should make purple berets! And raspberry berets, just so I can do all the Prince songs in my post titles 😉

3. February 17, 2016 / 12:51 pm

Purple looks great on you. I love the fact that you look like your adorable brooch! Kx

• ciciadmin
      February 17, 2016 / 1:14 pm

Ha, I hadn't made that comparison – but then she is a lot cuter than me! x

4. SaraLily
    February 17, 2016 / 2:19 pm

I love everything about this outfit – and you match your little brooch so well! So dang adorable!!

5. February 17, 2016 / 2:40 pm

£6 for a Collectif skirt, that is what you call a bargain! Purple really suits you, lovely outfit x

6. Amanda
    February 17, 2016 / 4:36 pm

Omg!! You are a purple princess! You are so stunning and the purple is such a pretty colour on you, even though all of your outfits are swoon-worthy, I think this is one of my favourite of yours. I have been drooling over Erstwilders new collection all morning I think it's time to break the bank (again!)

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:16 pm

That's nice to hear 🙂 I don't think it's one of my own favourites, but I love it when other people like certain ones more than I do. Which is a bit weird, but it works for me… If you look at their new brooches be prepared to suddenly find yourself out of a lot of money… They're particularly amazing this time around!

7. February 17, 2016 / 4:50 pm

I got this skirt too in the Collectif sale but in pink! I haven't worn it yet as I was concerned it was a little bright for winter, but seeing your purple one, I'm wondering why I haven't! I love the matching beret and the cute brooch. I adore seeing other people's brooches but strangely don't own any of my own – I really need to get that sorted, I'm just terrible with accessories!
    xx

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:17 pm

They are both quite bright I think, but sometimes this winter weather needs that! I'm trying to get myself out of the thinking pattern that makes me want to wear dark clothes in the dark weather… It does cheer you up! xx

8. HuggyHare
    February 17, 2016 / 6:34 pm

Oh, I love that outfit! It gives me some inspiration on how to wear my purple clothing, namely the Tempest dress which I bought from Collectif's sale as well. Purple doesn't really suit me (aside from lavender) so I'm having trouble how to wear it and how to accessorize it, but I guess I could use a few new brooches from Erstwilder. Atm I only have Elissa the Indie Cat, but I've been wearing it so much I could really use something else as well. Sadly they're expensive, but such a good quality maybe I can overlook the price <3

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:19 pm

I think the problem with purple is it can feel hard to put with other colours when it's this bright and dominating; which is why I stuck with monochrome and what I kept thinking in my head as '50 shades of purple', although it was actually only 4… Agree, I think you get what you pay for with Erstwilder (they're so beautiful) but it is hard to keep justifying the spend on something that's decorative like that…

9. Kate-Em
    February 17, 2016 / 10:58 pm

The skirt is a lovely colour and I like it with the stripes. It rains all the time here in West Yorkshire, in fact there were hideous floods on Boxing Day. That alarm app would be having a frenzy!

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:19 pm

I live in a city that is supposedly one of Britain's driest. So the fact the alarm was still going mental really tells you something about this country doesn't it?!

10. February 17, 2016 / 11:08 pm

I may have to try this shorter style. I love the purple on you too, really suits you, it's so vibrant! Your rain tales were relevant today, I got soaked leaving work.

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:20 pm

If you go for one now you'll grab it at a great price for experimenting with 😉

11. Kayla
    February 18, 2016 / 7:27 am

I love this outfit and how perfectly the brooch fits in with the whole look. You look amazing in purple and you always look so chic. I love all of the new Erstwilder designs!! x

• ciciadmin
      February 18, 2016 / 1:20 pm

All I needed was the rain – apart from I didn't need it because it's impossible to get good photos in 😉 x

12. February 18, 2016 / 9:06 am

Haha, cute story! I adore that beret, and the striped top and the brooch is super cute. I just realized I don't think I have any purple in my wardrobe…I really need to work on that.

Regina / Head Glam Girl at Margarita Bloom
    Margarita Bloom | Retro Vintage Skincare & Beauty
    Blog: http://www.cherrylipsblondecurls.com
    Twitter: @mbglamourville @margaritabloom
    Instagram: @margaritabloom

13. February 18, 2016 / 11:01 pm

Purple is a totally underrated colour, but it looks really fantastic on you! Nice to see some bright colours during this long, wet winter we are suffering through!!!

• February 21, 2016 / 10:00 am

When oh when will the wind and rain end – basically the first thing I think when I get up right now 🙁

14. February 19, 2016 / 2:42 am

This is such a fun, charming outfit! I love that it has colour elements of both winter and spring. Purple is great! It's one of those colours I absolutely love, yet don't own near enough of in my own closet (though, I have been making a consciousness effort to change this in recent years). It looks fantastic on you, sweet CiCi, truly!

Big hugs & so very many thanks for the hugely appreciated link to my shop,
    ♥ Jessica

• February 21, 2016 / 10:02 am

I find it's not a colour I see in many clothes, actually, so it's not a surprise we all find it so hard to add it to our wardrobes x

15. Aurè
    February 21, 2016 / 5:42 am

Goodmorning CIci MArie,
    it's a such nice story…and what a super stylish look! Yo shine such charisma…cheers!

16. February 22, 2016 / 1:52 am

So very lovely, but then you always are…and in love with the purple

17. Jessica
    February 23, 2016 / 1:43 am

Very cute, and very you! I love the beret and the striped top, and I think purple suits you really well. I'm not usually a huge fan of Erstwilder, but I really like the brooch you're wearing with this outfit. It's such a cute accent, and it works so perfectly here.
    We don't get quite as much rain here as you do (the story about the rain app that wouldn't shut up is so funny), but I used to get drenched basically every time it rained. I just never had an umbrella on me. I think part of growing up is checking the weather before you leave the house!

18. February 25, 2016 / 1:49 am

You do monochrome + pop of colour so effectively Cici! This outfit is very chic ~ and I love your girl with an umbrella brooch. It's funny about the rain app ~ our Melbourne weather is always said to have four seasons in a day; sometimes twice a day, so I don't think it would ever stop buzzing. For the most part, I'm happy when it rains, because, you know ~ dry Australia and all…. ❤