I think it's time for another red lipstick review, don't you? Nope, my quest for the perfect matte red lip is still not over, I'm still buying them. I've got many reds I really, really love, but none of them are what I'd call that true, bright, neutral red. They all either lean warm, cool, dark or light. Until this lipstick. This is the shade of red I have spent nearly ten years looking for.
I bought it on a total whim, because I was in Boots and got suckered in by another one of their wallet-destroying 3-for-2 deals. And I'd already been suckered by the TV advert for this product too. So just all-round suckeredness. But I don't care, because it's a truly pretty red. And it nearly ended my search...
You all know there's a 'but' coming though, right? Of course there is...
But let's go through the good stuff first!
- This is the first liquid matte lipstick I've ever owned that doesn't make my lips flake after a few hours and the first matte lipstick under £10 I can say that about (but it does get you in the end, see cons).
- It is properly matte in that way that liquids seem can really nail (but lipsticks, not so much)
- Again, unlike other liquid matte lipsticks I've owned (I'm looking at you, Lime Crime), you can top up natural wear straight on top of existing colour, without it going all patchy and weird. Hooray for not having to reapply the whole lot!
- It's pretty long-wearing and far longer wearing than I was expecting for the price - after eating, a little bit will fade away here and there but it's not horrendously noticeable and you can touch it up anyway, as I've said
- The texture is kind of balmy when it first goes on, it's very... pleasant. That's the best word for it - it just feels nice! (Although there is a but coming...)
- The colour is my perfect, perfect shade of red. Neutral, bright, pillar box red. That perfect phone box (you know what I mean) shade. I've never found another red like it
- It's pretty good value for a liquid matte at £9.99
- I love the simple, clean, elegant packaging
- This is the but: it is a giant pain in the ass to apply
- The formula, because it's balmy, is quite thin which makes precise edges difficult
- And because it's thin, you'll need more than one coat to get the colour to apply evenly - one coat and the colour will be patchy in places and it looks rubbish
- And also, it takes an age to dry properly - and before it has, you better hope you don't smudge it
- And if you layer it up like I do, you lose some of the nice smooth texture and get tackiness. This annoys the heck out of me, but I put up with it because I love the colour so much
- And I'm going to predict it lasts about 10 wears the rate I'm layering (this isn't proven!)
- The colour is a bit too long-wearing - try as I might I can never quite get it all off and my lips end up with flecks of red particularly on the inside of my lip the next day too
- Although it doesn't seem to dry my lips out at all throughout the day, I gradually realised that random flakiness I was getting for seemingly no reason, was, in fact, occuring the day after I wear it... strange, but true (but perhaps I should have covered myself in balm after I removed it?)
So there you go. This lipstick nearly ended my search. It was so close. It definitely joins my favourite lipstick colours of all time, but I'm sad I can't just throw it on and walk out the door. Unless your idea of throwing on is 20 minutes, a lot of blotting and 2-3 temper tantrums. I'll wear it when I have the time and patience, but I'm a bit too lazy for it to become an everyday favourite.
The search for red lipstick will be back...
Follow me at Bloglovin' ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Instagram ♥ Pinterest