Makeup: Bourjois Rouge Velvet lipstick in Hot Pepper

I think it’s time for another red lipstick review, don’t you? Nope, my quest for the perfect matte red lip is still not over, I’m still buying them. I’ve got many reds I really, really love, but none of them are what I’d call that true, bright, neutral red. They all either lean warm, cool, dark or light. Until this lipstick. This is the shade of red I have spent nearly ten years looking for.
I bought it on a total whim, because I was in Boots and got suckered in by another one of their wallet-destroying 3-for-2 deals. And I’d already been suckered by the TV advert for this product too. So just all-round suckeredness. But I don’t care, because it’s a truly pretty red. And it nearly ended my search…
Bourjois Rouge Velvet lipstick in Hot Pepper review

Bourjois Rouge Velvet lipstick in Hot Pepper review

Bourjois Rouge Velvet lipstick in Hot Pepper review
You all know there’s a ‘but’ coming though, right? Of course there is…
But let’s go through the good stuff first!
Pros
  • This is the first liquid matte lipstick I’ve ever owned that doesn’t make my lips flake after a few hours and the first matte lipstick under £10 I can say that about (but it does get you in the end, see cons).
  • It is properly matte in that way that liquids seem can really nail (but lipsticks, not so much)
  • Again, unlike other liquid matte lipsticks I’ve owned (I’m looking at you, Lime Crime), you can top up natural wear straight on top of existing colour, without it going all patchy and weird. Hooray for not having to reapply the whole lot!
  • It’s pretty long-wearing and far longer wearing than I was expecting for the price – after eating, a little bit will fade away here and there but it’s not horrendously noticeable and you can touch it up anyway, as I’ve said
  • The texture is kind of balmy when it first goes on, it’s very… pleasant. That’s the best word for it – it just feels nice! (Although there is a but coming…)
  • The colour is my perfect, perfect shade of red. Neutral, bright, pillar box red. That perfect phone box (you know what I mean) shade. I’ve never found another red like it
  • It’s pretty good value for a liquid matte at £9.99
  • I love the simple, clean, elegant packaging
Cons
  • This is the but: it is a giant pain in the ass to apply
    • The formula, because it’s balmy, is quite thin which makes precise edges difficult
    • And because it’s thin, you’ll need more than one coat to get the colour to apply evenly – one coat and the colour will be patchy in places and it looks rubbish
    • And also, it takes an age to dry properly – and before it has, you better hope you don’t smudge it
    • And if you layer it up like I do, you lose some of the nice smooth texture and get tackiness. This annoys the heck out of me, but I put up with it because I love the colour so much
    • And I’m going to predict it lasts about 10 wears the rate I’m layering (this isn’t proven!)
  • The colour is a bit too long-wearing – try as I might I can never quite get it all off and my lips end up with flecks of red particularly on the inside of my lip the next day too
  • Although it doesn’t seem to dry my lips out at all throughout the day, I gradually realised that random flakiness I was getting for seemingly no reason, was, in fact, occuring the day after I wear it… strange, but true (but perhaps I should have covered myself in balm after I removed it?)

So there you go. This lipstick nearly ended my search. It was so close. It definitely joins my favourite lipstick colours of all time, but I’m sad I can’t just throw it on and walk out the door. Unless your idea of throwing on is 20 minutes, a lot of blotting and 2-3 temper tantrums. I’ll wear it when I have the time and patience, but I’m a bit too lazy for it to become an everyday favourite.
The search for red lipstick will be back…

1. January 14, 2016 / 9:54 am

Ooo I have the Rouge Velvet Edition in 'Personne ne rouge' and 'Frambourjoise' and really love it, but yes, hard to get off, and also you need to moisturise after wearing it. I like this chilli shade, it's really lovely, reminds me of a cheap Colorsport red lippy that's still going in my collection.

You look so pretty in that top and beret, very nice colours in these snaps!

xx

P.S. Shopping update…
    Sending back: Boden shoes (they are too big and I have to face it), Gossard retrolution slip (too short in body for me, too big cups).
    Keeping: VOH slashneck top
    Still waiting for: Collectif delivery no.2
    xx

• January 14, 2016 / 1:37 pm

I'm glad I didn't just imagine my lips were dry as heck the next days! It seemed too much of a coincidence… And thank you 🙂

Glad you're having some more shopping wins. I should get my ridiculous gloves and new shoes today 😉 xx

• January 14, 2016 / 1:37 pm

It's what we all think we want… then we get it and we don't want it anymore!! x

2. January 14, 2016 / 1:17 pm

This is such a gorgeous colour! It is definitely true and looks so beautiful on your skin tone! I'll have to check if I can buy it here in Canada! I'm searching for a variety of matte lipsticks.
    Also do you mind if I ask what eyeliner you use?

3. January 15, 2016 / 1:10 am

Maybe a liner underneath would help with some of the issues? And I swear by using an oil based cleanser to get my long wearing makeup off – it's all I'll use these days.
    That color is really stunning on you, though. You seriously kill a red lip and cat eye liner.

• January 17, 2016 / 9:57 am

That's true – you might well be right on the liner, but the problem is the colour is so thin that you'd have to have one in an exact match to stop it distorting the shade… and I've never found a true red liner! Thank you 😀

4. January 15, 2016 / 8:13 am

I'm always after the perfect red lip that won't transfer and won't dry my lips out. Nothing worse than chapped lips after a long day of lipstick wearing! One day, I'll find it, but in the meantime ~ this colour red is sooo gorgeous on you! ❤ It's a shame it's such a pain to apply. 🙁

• January 17, 2016 / 9:59 am

It's like you can't have both or it would break the laws of lipstick… I do find my high-end Nars lipsticks get closest to the perfect consistency, but neither of the reds I own of theirs are true red. It is a real shame about this one though as I am completely in love with the colour! x

5. January 15, 2016 / 3:36 pm

The colour looks great on you but what a shame it has application issues. Those Boots deals! Easy to spend way too much in there!

• January 17, 2016 / 10:00 am

They are responsible for a lot of money wasting! It always seems like such a deal at the time, but only makes me buy things I'd never have bought without the deal and subsequently rarely/never use, most of the time…

6. January 16, 2016 / 5:05 am

It's such a pretty colour but that's a shame that it's not the best for application. Also, can I just say how gorgeous you are??! I always love how you do your make-up and hair! x

• January 17, 2016 / 10:01 am

Aw Kayla 🙂 I have to admit that when I know I'm taking makeup review photos, I do try extra hard as you can't get away with as much as from a distance!! x

7. January 16, 2016 / 10:15 am

Oh no, almost had it with this one, what a disappointment!! But the perfect lippy is out there for you!

• January 17, 2016 / 10:01 am

Maybe it's ok to have many nearly-perfect lipsticks, as long as you can see the good in all of them enough to like wearing them 😉

8. January 18, 2016 / 9:21 pm

ah no, i'm on a similar search but the application woes are a bit of a dealbreaker! that colour, though…

• January 21, 2016 / 1:30 pm

You should definitely stay tuned as at some point in the not-so-distant future I've got another red with FAR easier application that isn't a million miles from the colour of this one (and is, in fact, my current favourite) 🙂

9. January 20, 2016 / 1:54 pm

This is such a classic, stunning shade of vibrant red. It looks breathtaking on you, sweet dear.

♥ Jessica

• January 21, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Thank you 🙂 you're right that it's vibrant – and I find it increasingly difficult to find such lovely bright ones…

10. January 20, 2016 / 6:21 pm

Great color on you. Sorry to hear though that this one is not the winner though! Crazy about some of the color still being there the next day!

• January 21, 2016 / 1:31 pm

You're telling me! And because it had made my lips so dry I knew because the flakes were red -_-