Outfit: rockabilly girl about town

Did I ever mention I love denim? And leopard print? Good. Because I do – especially together.
Which brings me to this outfit. I love a good denim pencil skirt. Unfortunately a good denim pencil skirt I don’t yet have – what I’ve got is very cheap ones, like this one. You can tell it’s cheap – look at all them creases! It rides up like no one’s business, too. But when I’m not grappling with keeping the hem down, it’s the ideal colour and shape for me, so it gets to be in some photos today.
As does this leopard print top, which isn’t a top – it’s actually a mini-dress. It was one that was gifted to me as it shrunk in the wash – and if there’s one thing petite girls can benefit from, it’s washing shrinkage. Honestly, this dress is such a perfect fit it makes me wonder if I should try to shrink everything I own… but we all know that would end in tears.
Anyway, dark denim and bold leopard print like this always makes me think of rockabilly style and this was a comfy, practical (for me) outfit I wore when walking about pretty Ely recently. Ely is actually a very small city because it has a cathedral, but that didn’t have quite the same ring for the title of this post! B and I love Ely and would happily live there, but it’s just too far for me to get to work every day. True story: we went on a ghost hunt to find Oliver Cromwell’s ghost in his old house there at the start of the year.
Casual rockabilly - leopard print blouse, denim pencil skirt, yellow ankle strap shoes and ponytail
Catseye glasses, leopard print top, denim pencil skirt
Leopard print blouse and Tatty Devine name necklace
Catseye glasses, leopard print blouse and Tatty Devine name necklace

50s style curly ponytail with hair ribbon

Rockabilly look - ponytail, leopard print top, denim pencil skirt
Hair ribbon: ASOS (old)
Necklace (custom made): Tatty Devine
Top (dress worn as): Topshop (old)
Skirt: (currently on sale)ย Forever 21
Bag: Warehouse (similar)
Shoes: Clarks ‘Serin Sing’ (check eBay)
ย

1. September 29, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Super cute! I love that you've transformed a dress into a top without meaning to! It's adorable!

• September 30, 2015 / 12:06 pm

I can just about wear it as a dress, but it is the most mini of minis!

2. September 29, 2015 / 12:57 pm

Ahhh I love leopard print, and surprisingly I don't even own any – must do something about that! And so did you find Cromwell's ghost?! Also, those mustard platforms are fab ๐Ÿ˜€

• September 30, 2015 / 12:07 pm

If you believe the group leaders we found several 'energies' – some of whom deigned to tip a table or two for us! That was definitely the most exciting part of the night… Cromwell himself was a no-show, alas…

3. September 29, 2015 / 1:09 pm

'Ely' is an area of Cardiff that has a reputation for being a bit rough, so I had to re-read that paragraph!! I too long to own a dark denim pencil skirt but am yet to find one that fits properly. I think M&S did some last year, I might check Ebay. I love your casual chic here, it's petite perfection for the girl about town! Though the ghost might see you coming in the leopard print.. xx

• September 30, 2015 / 12:08 pm

Ha, definitely not that Ely! Why are denim pencil skirts so difficult?? I never get on with M&S clothing, it's always an appalling fit on me. I meant to snap up a Collectif skirt in the sale but missed it. Sigh… xx

4. September 29, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Love your outfit, and the background for the photos is great. Never been to Ely, but it's on my list, as cathedral visiting is one of my favourite things

• September 30, 2015 / 12:09 pm

It is a very grand cathedral for such a small place, worth checking out for sure! Plus, you can't move for tea rooms in Ely and we all love a tea room…

5. September 29, 2015 / 2:08 pm

Ely's freezing in winter! All that wind sweeps straight across the fens. Brrrrr!

That's a really lovely outfit, and looks fab on you. I like the punch of the yellow bag against the rest of it.

• September 30, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Fortunately these photos were not taken in winter ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. September 29, 2015 / 8:31 pm

This is super sweet. Love the whole look, especially the shoes.

• September 30, 2015 / 12:11 pm

The shoes are getting a lot of love, which really pleases me as I've always thought they were a bit odd but loved them anyway ๐Ÿ˜€

7. September 29, 2015 / 9:07 pm

My friend lives there but I've never been. I love your hair in this, reminds me of a modern greece!

• September 30, 2015 / 12:12 pm

That is basically how I try to dress every single day ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. September 29, 2015 / 11:12 pm

I think I've said it before, but the rockabilly look really suits you! Very fun and chic, with just a dash of sexy. I think I'm in love with your shoes. I'm still mad for anything mustard, and I love a low heel when I'm doing a lot of walking, so these are pushing all of my buttons.

• September 30, 2015 / 12:13 pm

Me too, mustard is one of my absolute favourites! And I've basically spent years buying every low heel that fits and I can afford, because I hate, hate, HATE having sore feet, but love being a tiny bit taller…

9. September 30, 2015 / 4:39 am

hello…so charming outfit…cheers!

• September 30, 2015 / 12:13 pm

I've had this necklace for years, but never ever remember to wear it! I'm really quite dreadful with jewelry…

10. September 30, 2015 / 8:17 pm

Your denim skirt is so cute, I would have never thought it was cheap! LOL! How cool is that top or should I say dress. I love the way you layered it with your denim skirt! Fabulous outfit!

Rebecca

• October 4, 2015 / 7:31 am

That's good to know – perhaps I'm being paranoid about the skirt and they all wrinkle anyway!!

11. October 1, 2015 / 1:05 am

Ooh a ghost hunt! I love the leopard print with the denim skirt… The mustard shoes and handbag create a great pop of colour. Beautiful as always! x

• October 4, 2015 / 7:32 am

It was really fun – I used dowsing rods and the 'ghosts' were loving me ๐Ÿ˜‰ I love mustard – mustard with everything – as long as it's the colour, not the condiment. Yuck. x

12. October 1, 2015 / 2:53 am

Seriously delightful outfit! I love how fun, yet also solidly classy, denim + leopard print are together. The two work as well as denim + leather, IMO, and are just so fun to boot!

Joyful start of October wishes!
    โ™ฅ Jessica

• October 4, 2015 / 7:33 am

Exactly – which reminds me, I must wear my leather jacket more ๐Ÿ™‚ x

13. October 3, 2015 / 2:07 pm

Sometimes I think pencil skirts would be perfect … if you're a mannequin, and can just stand around posing in them all day. As soon as I actually try to sit or walk in them, I end up with the creases, and the riding-up, and GAH. Anyway, this one is fabulous, and I LOVE the mustard bag – one of my favourite colours, that you just don't see enough of!

• October 4, 2015 / 7:34 am

I'm starting to think it's not the skirt's fault for being cheap, it's the skirts fault for being pencil-shaped. That does make me feel a bit better though – although now I realise I'll NEVER find a perfect denim pencil skirt, which makes me sad… Mustard's one of my favourite colours too and agreed – it's so often overlooked, not least my designers. I searched for a year before I found a shop selling a mustard bag I liked…

14. October 3, 2015 / 3:38 pm

Super cute outfit! Everything is put together so well. I love your hair curls in the back as well! How fun about the ghost hunt earlier in the year. ๐Ÿ˜€

• October 4, 2015 / 7:35 am

I'm glad the curls are getting some love – it was my patented (er, not) putting hot rollers in a ponytail technique ๐Ÿ™‚

15. October 19, 2015 / 9:35 am

Love this outfit, leopard and dark denim are a fantastic combination and I like the hits of mustard too. I've only been to Ely once, I remember it being very pretty.