Outfit: summertime blues

There’s a lot of blue in this outfit and the location, but of course, my ‘summertime blues’ really come from only one place… the darn weather.
I think we’ve seen me harp on about how disappointing I’ve found this country’s ‘summer’ not just this year, but probably every year before I’ve been writing this blog, almost as if I’ve forgotten I live in the UK… but, ok, just one more thing. You’re looking at these photos and thinking ‘what’s she on about, it was clearly the most glorious summer weather EVER’… No, my friends! These photos were taken on our holiday in late July to the coast and the weather was so bad, that this sudden burst of sunshine you see below was the only two hour break of nice weather in five solid days of torrential downpour that exactly coincided with my trip. We had to time this shoot with military precision – and then the awful raging wind threatened to throw it off altogether, again.
Ok, it’s not just one thing, I lied. Feel free to skip to the photos now, I won’t mind… So, I read an article recently that said Brits are getting so little sun this year that we’re becoming deficient in vitamin D and will all soon have to pop pills to avoid depression and health problems. That is how bad it is. On the plus, we’re nearly in autumn and then at least the rubbish weather is expected, so I’ll stop feeling so bitterly disappointed all of the time.
However, every (rain) cloud has a silver lining. This post’s silver lining is I managed to actually take some photos in the sun without them coming out too overexposed to use. Being determined to not waste the blue skies I was being offered, I was forced to keep at it with angles and camera settings until it finally worked. And I really, really loved this location. You can’t see it, but there’s a windmill a few feet away on the other side of me. Super picturesque and one thing I will say about obsessively blogging what you wear is that when you get a two hour break of nice weather, you’ve got a reason to immediately get yourself out in it.
Like I say, every cloud… Of which there are none in these photos – hurrah!
Collectif Sophia Gingham Top and Lindy Bop Peggy Midnight Blue Full Circle Skirt

Collectif Sophia Gingham Top in navy

Mad Men style hairdo

Collectif Sophia Gingham Top in navy

Collectif Ivory Kiss Lock Bag and Swedish Hasbeens Fredrica in Ivory

Skirt: Lindy Bop ‘Peggy’ skirt (altered to a shorter length)
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens ‘Fredrica’ via ASOS
Anyway, I’m a pro at this weather thing now. The wind wasn’t going to ruin MY hair that was pinned and hairsprayed to within an inch of its life!

1. August 25, 2015 / 12:17 pm

Love this look! Bravo for managing to get such awesome photos in a small amount of time.

• August 26, 2015 / 12:14 pm

It's an art I'm becoming very practiced at living in this country!

2. August 25, 2015 / 12:38 pm

These are pretty, pretty photos lady!! I love how a photo can look like a perfect day, even if it was a perfect minute. Gorgeous shoes, I'm loving them with the blue.

Gosh it's a skill being a blogger in Blighty isn't it?! The amount of times I'm ridiculously dressed-up being driven around the Valleys praying for a break in the clouds, only for us to do a few test shots, give up when it starts hammering it down (again) and then I spend the rest of the day indoors in my nightie in protest looking wistfully at all those Californian and Australian bloggers with their cursed eternal sunshine.

Will message you again before the wedding, but LOVING that True Match foundation, thanks for the recommendation. I hope you enjoyed your chilli last night, mine was awesome!!

• August 26, 2015 / 12:16 pm

Ha, sounds like my life – being driven round being dressed to the nines only to stand in a field, get almost blown over, and give up on the idea! And yep, then I get home, change into lounging gear, and feel very sad that I don't have the endless Californian and Australian summers… xx

3. August 25, 2015 / 12:53 pm

Lovely! The last pic at the end with the wind picking up your skirt oh so perfectly – nailed it! I wish I could give you Brits some of our New England heat. Man, we have had enough of it! Though, we get such high humidity, I doubt you'd want it!! 😉

• August 26, 2015 / 12:17 pm

You should see the 50 others where the wind practically blew my skirt over my head 😉 I'd take the humidity if the sun came with it, honest I would. Looking out the window at torrential rain (again), I'd take the sweating!

4. August 25, 2015 / 2:40 pm

Splendidly pretty outfit and sunlight in these dreamy photos. Blue sings on you, darling gal. So true about how we learn to navigate the weather definitely as fashion bloggers!

Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

• August 26, 2015 / 12:17 pm

I am constantly on 'wind watch' 😉

5. August 25, 2015 / 4:57 pm

Ah yes Vitamin D deficiency is definitely something I've been warned about hahaha.. Especially coming from Australia where the sun is a-plenty!! You look so so beautiful! I adore your blue ensemble! That skirt is really cute!

• August 26, 2015 / 12:18 pm

I'm amazed if you aren't experiencing some kind of vitamin D withdrawal symptoms, to be honest 😉 The skirt is cute but it wrinkles easily and the wrinkles show up so badly in photos!!

6. August 25, 2015 / 5:10 pm

This outfit looks so coot on you! You look absolutely adorable! <3
    x Angela // missangellane.blogspot.com

7. August 26, 2015 / 5:24 pm

I'm with you on the disappointing weather! Only my recent holiday allowed me a few sun rays! And I'm already one of the Brits taking vitamin D pills for the deficiency, super depressing since a little sun would sort this right out! I love the hairstyle, just super elegant, and great when the wind is trying its best to be a nuisance. Another super pretty, and put together look!

• August 27, 2015 / 12:24 pm

I had no idea this was already a Thing. I can't believe we have to take vitamins because the sun refuses to come out in this country! I end up with my hair up in nearly all of my photos because the wind is so bad all the time. To be honest I'd love to wear it down more!!

8. August 27, 2015 / 6:02 pm

This is so beautiful and I love navy on you!

9. August 28, 2015 / 2:27 am

Maybe I just have a terrible memory, but I don't think I've seen you wear much blue. It's a lovely color on you! That top is really fabulous, with the gingham and the sweetheart neckline, and the skirt is pretty much perfect with it. It's a shame your weather has been so poor lately, but you certainly wouldn't guess it from these photos.

• August 31, 2015 / 1:05 pm

I guess I don't really, apart from denim! Apart from at work, where I've got lots of pencil skirts in navy… Judging on these comments I should be wearing it more often 🙂

• August 31, 2015 / 1:07 pm

I think my timing has to be impeccable in this country – fortunately I'm never someone who's ever late 😉 thanks for your lovely words, as always x

10. August 29, 2015 / 12:37 pm

You are so radiant! Beautiful lady and wonderful outfit! It's a shame about the weather but it looks fantastic in these photos x

• August 31, 2015 / 1:07 pm

Aw, thanks Kayla. I've given up hoping re the weather and I"m a much happier person for it 😉 x

11. September 3, 2015 / 4:35 pm

Wow! Gorgeous photos and that is such an adorable gingham top! Love this outfit! So cute!!! I'm glad the sun came out at least for a little so you were able to get these shots!

12. September 7, 2015 / 8:06 pm

Glad you managed to get a break in the weather as this is a lovely outfit. I really like the skirt, such a good shape and will go with so many things.