Outfit: what’s black and white and red all over…

… that would be me. I kept trying to not write this post title, but not very hard, obviously! These photos were taken in beautiful Borely Park during our trip to Marseille, which is probably why I don’t look cold and annoyed for once πŸ˜‰ (Oh and I hope you all enjoy the lunging woman in the background as much as I do.)
This was one of those outfits that was entirely created to compliment one quirky piece, which in this case is a bag from Vendula London. I actually really like putting together outfits working from a starting point like this – something about it suits my methodological (/ OTT perfectionist) way of thinking. And who on earth could resist this bag? It has a clothes shop on it – complete with dresses in the window (there’s even a sale on – I love sales)! If that wasn’t enough, it’s well made, a good ‘day’ size and has an adorable London-themed lining (shown below). It really is something special in the world of novelty style.
The black and white awning and the red front door could really only take me in one direction for this outfit… er, the same one. I think we can agree that other than the bag, the star of the show are these Hell Bunny polka dot capris, amiright? I absolutely love them, but here’s the thing: at first, I hated them. The difference between then and now is approximately half a stone in weight – you see, I shed a bit for bikini-wearing purposes and these photos were taken at the start (note the word ‘start’ there) of our holiday. Where before I had a bit of a muffin-top situation going on, 6lbs later it was much reduced and these capris looked fab on. They are super stretchy, but I’ve got this unfortunate thing with Hell Bunny where I’m squarely between their XS and S sizing and these are XS. I’d probably still advise anyone who is between sizes to size down because they do such a fab job at sucking you in, but I definitely felt happier (now note the past tense!) being closer to the 26″ waist size of the XS than I was before.
What do you get when you put a quirky new bag, polka dot capris and, of course, my favourite pair of Hasbeens together? No joke, one of my favourite outfits so far this year πŸ™‚
White tie shirt, polka dot capris, Vendula London bag and red Swedish Hasbeens

Collectif Judy sunglasses, white tie shirt, polka dot capris and Vendula London bag

50s style white tie blouse and polka dot capris

White tie shirt, polka dot capris, Vendula London bag and red Swedish Hasbeens

Vendula London boutique bag

Vendula London boutique bag inside

White tie shirt, polka dot capris, Vendula London bag and red Swedish Hasbeens

White broderie anglaise tie shirt

Red catseye glasses, white broderie anglaise tie shirt, Hell Bunny polka dot capris

White tie shirt, polka dot capris, Vendula London bag and red Swedish Hasbeens
Top: Peacocks (similar)
Bag: c/o Vendula London (all styles)
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens (check eBay)

1. July 7, 2015 / 12:06 pm

Aw that bag is so cute! I love planning an outfit around one item too. Often I start with a brooch and then a whole outfit is inspired by it! Those sunglasses are fab too! x

• July 7, 2015 / 1:15 pm

I totally did it with a brooch recently too πŸ˜€ it feels like a challenge – but a fun one! x

2. July 7, 2015 / 12:13 pm

Ooh I love the capris! I am so tempted by them now, but I hover around a 26-27 inch waist and don't know whether I would size down to an XS or not – so annoying being right in between sizes! I find Hell Bunny sizing really odd as I own an XS dress and cardigan, a S dress and 3 M cardigans, all of which fit near enough perfectly – crazy!

• July 7, 2015 / 1:14 pm

Hmm… I didn't try the S, but you would get into the XS if your hips aren't much larger than 35". If they are, you might find the S would be better I'd guess. Hard to know, but the XS is definitely a stretch to fit on me and my measurements are 26-27" waist and 35" hips. I think it's the upper limit for sure, but as you can see I'm in them fine, they're just skin-tight! I'm always either XS or S in Hell Bunny but it does seem to vary between designs, yes!!

3. July 7, 2015 / 12:28 pm

THAT BAG! It's so gosh darn adorable! Those pants rock as well! I love this whole look!!

4. July 7, 2015 / 12:37 pm

Oh no, I was secretly hoping these would turn out to be super-expensive, so I wouldn't be tempted, but now they've gone right onto my wish list – damn you! Love the top, too – such a perfect combination!

• July 7, 2015 / 1:14 pm

Dooo it – they're so cute! πŸ˜€

5. July 7, 2015 / 5:51 pm

There's just something about this colour combo that produces classic results and this outfit has produced just that. You look fabulous!!!

• July 8, 2015 / 12:27 pm

Indeed, it's one of my all-time favourites and the extra great thing about it is you can wear it in both winter and summer and it feels appropriate at all times!

6. July 7, 2015 / 8:57 pm

You look effortlessly fabulous! I'm loving the side bun, very chic! And I'm a sucker for polka dots.

• July 8, 2015 / 12:28 pm

Aren't we all? πŸ˜‰ Although I went off the dots for a while as they felt like a bit of a cliche… but these capris have brought it all back!

7. July 7, 2015 / 9:39 pm

I love the bag, I have just got some of the Lindybob Capri's but I forget how much a pear shape doesn't work with them. They do not look god on my tummy! I think I might have to invest in some rather unattractive granny knickers so I can wear them!

• July 8, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Aw no, I hope you find a way to make them work! Because I reviewed them I feel partly responsible!! Shapewear is always a good solution to fix a problem area like that – although I bet it's worse to you than it would be to anyone else (we probably wouldn't notice!) πŸ™‚

8. July 8, 2015 / 1:36 am

I think this is one of my favorite looks so far! I love the capris… Then again I love anything with polka dots πŸ˜‰

Jessica
    pyreflies.org

• July 8, 2015 / 12:29 pm

Glad we agree πŸ˜€ I didn't feel like it was my favourite when I was thinking it up, but it was one of those that when I saw the photos I was surprised at how good it looked together!

9. July 8, 2015 / 5:06 am

Definitely one of my favorite of yours! I just love the color combination so much.
    The bag is adorable. Box bags are very cute, and all the details on it- so pretty!
    And oh, the capris!!! Unfortunately I'm tempted too, as the rest of your commenters….

~Maria☼
    (from A Golden Picnic)

• July 8, 2015 / 12:30 pm

Yay, another one who agrees with me πŸ˜€ Sounds like Hell Bunny are going to have to produce some more capris sharpish! πŸ˜‰

10. July 8, 2015 / 7:07 am

Oh my gosh, great minds!!! Hand on my heart, I have an outfit post already written and lined up for later this summer with a very, very similar title. I just wanted to mention that now so you didn't think that perhaps I was copying you there – not that either of us is the first to use this classic pun, but still! πŸ™‚

This is such a fun look! You and capris are such a lovely pairing. That Vendula London bag is uber adorable. What fashion loving gal wouldn't adore caring around a tiny boutique on her purse?

Tons of hugs,
    β™₯ Jessica

• July 8, 2015 / 12:31 pm

Ha, Jessica, I love that we've written almost identical post titles! I'll be sure to smile when I see yours now. And of course, I'd never for a moment think you'd copy me – why would you need to, indeed, as you're so endlessly original all the time!

I feel like capris might be my summer berets – rarely seen without them πŸ˜‰ Exactly, it's hard not to love a handbag with a shop on it! What's not to love?! x

11. July 8, 2015 / 9:47 am

Another stunner of a retro outfit! I'm regretting not buying that Peacocks blouse now myself, it would go with so much! That's good to know about the sizing of those capris, sometimes it's really a pain being in between sizes, as I often am. So I feel your pain.

I really have been enjoying the Marseilles series of photos, I hope there's still more to come?

xx

• July 8, 2015 / 12:33 pm

I'm regretting that I didn't buy ALL the colours as I think about the blue and pink ones all the time. Well, I have in the summer, at least. Which is probably sad but I love this white shirt so much! Hell Bunny sizing is to me what I think Lindy Bop is to you – I can't get to grips with it!

There's one more set of Marseilles photos to come πŸ™‚ they won't be the next lot, although the next lot WILL feature my Marseille sunburn -_- probably the ones after that… rather than waiting nearly a year like I did with the last set of Valencia ones πŸ˜€ xx

12. July 8, 2015 / 10:23 am

OMG that's the cutest bag!!

• July 8, 2015 / 12:34 pm

Check their stuff out, Nora, you won't regret it! A little birdy at their company tells me they're about to start posting their A/W styles too, the first one being online already… Otherwise, it's a great time to grab a sale bargain right now on their website!

13. July 8, 2015 / 11:44 am

Such a perfect outfit and oh my gosh that bag is so cute!!! So gorgeous… Love your hair too! x

• July 8, 2015 / 12:34 pm

Yay for the hair appreciation – I was particularly pleased with this bun. For some reason the water in Marseille really disagreed with my hair and I couldn't get it to do anything I wanted so it took forever to get this bun to happen and not fall out. Worth it in the end! x

14. July 8, 2015 / 2:49 pm

Now don't you look fantastic! And those red lips are perfection. You'd be right at home here in France. They love the red lip!

• July 9, 2015 / 12:18 pm

I feel like France and I are meant to be on so many levels – but the lipstick one might be my favourite!

15. July 8, 2015 / 9:57 pm

That purse is adorable. I love special bags. It looks great with polka dots.

• July 9, 2015 / 12:18 pm

I was worried it was going to clash, particularly as it wasn't quite the same shade of white as my dots, but I think I got away with it!

16. July 9, 2015 / 12:33 am

All of your looks from this trip are so freaking cute. That bag is absolutely adorable, and I think you've chosen the perfect pieces to set it off. I'm really loving those pants too. Everything here is just perfect.

• July 9, 2015 / 12:19 pm

If I'm honest I spent way, way too much time planning them! But I'm glad everyone is enjoying them so much πŸ™‚

17. July 9, 2015 / 7:04 am

Um… THAT BAG! *le gasp* A shop with a sale on dresses? Eeek! Too fabulous!! You've styled it so perfectly Cici ~ adore your polka dot capris, and the red SHs are so cute. Amazing outfit once again, you look like Audrey Hepburn on holidays! ❀

• July 9, 2015 / 12:20 pm

I love that you totally get it! The red Hasbeens – I honestly don't know how I wasn't walking around barefoot in the summer before I got them, I wear them so ridiculously often! And I think you've just won the award for my favourite compliment of the year – Audrey Hepburn on holidays is *exactly* what I was going for πŸ˜‰ xx

• July 31, 2015 / 12:49 am

Oh man, I should do a better job of checking back on comments… Heehee, I think you nailed it. πŸ˜‰

18. July 9, 2015 / 5:59 pm

This really is a bit of outfit perfection. Every detail. And those shoes! I see so many people wearing those but worry that without any padding they would bother my sensitive tootsies.

I'm sharing this…: )

• July 12, 2015 / 6:42 am

The shoes do take some getting used to and I wouldn't recommend walking for a couple of hours straight in them – but for casual all-day wear I find them absolutely fine πŸ™‚

19. July 12, 2015 / 8:27 pm

I adore your outfit! Also, the Marseille photos are lovely. I wish I could go to southern France, I've only been to Paris and the Alps. (Wish I spoke better French, too, I still kind of suck despite living there for 9 months :D)

• July 15, 2015 / 12:38 pm

I have wished I spoke better French pretty much all my adult life and yet here I am, still no better than I was at school! And that's despite lessons… Heh.

• July 15, 2015 / 12:39 pm

Thank you – I was especially pleased with it πŸ™‚ x

20. August 2, 2015 / 11:13 pm

Such a great casual but glamorous outfit and it sets the bag off perfectly!