Outfit: gloriously girly (+ video)

This year I’ve had a bit of a floral awakening. Can you believe that before 2015 I only owned one item of floral print – itself purchased only the year before? It’s weird, I’m probably the most ridiculously girly person I know in my dress-sense and yet I somehow still felt that flowery prints were too girly for me. If they’re too girly for me, who on earth can wear them?! I’ve always had a slight thing about going ‘too far’ in how I look though and I guess I feel like my hair + my make-up + me generally + florals = obscene levels of girliness.
And, let’s be honest, they do! But what I’ve now realised is… who cares? What’s wrong with being a total girl about clothes and how I look once in a while? Thus, the girliest outfit you might ever see was born and paraded at a sunny picnic. Where I was definitely given some (many) funny looks, probably because I was prancing around in a summer dress and heeled clogs when everyone else was in running or rambling gear… However, one woman passing by with some of her friends yelled over ‘You look beautiful!’ and even if she was being sarcastic (I’ve no idea, you tend to think the worst when you’re being yelled at), I don’t care. I’ll take that because I did feel beautiful with my inner girly girl on full display.
Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress

Voodoo Vixen Fauna floral dress
Hair flower: Accessorize (old)
Bag: Primark (in stores now)
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens (similar)
If anyone likes this dress enough to buy it, it’s worth mentioning I shortened the straps by about an inch – they were a bit too long for my petite frame. The sizing is pretty true to the size guide, but my short torso meant the waistline didn’t sit quite right – in some of the photos the shirring (yay, shirring) is a bit bunched up. Also, the website mentions there’s ‘covered buttons’ on the dress – if there are, they are very sneaky invisible ones!
Onto the video… So, not only was I prancing around in this dress in front of B and the camera, as usual, he also had the camcorder simultaneously trained on me to get some footage of what it looks like when I’m posing for one of these shoots (believe it or not, one of you lot asked me to show this!). And now I know: a little bit silly with lots of head movement. Also, I have spent a lot of time blaming B for taking photos at the exact moment I blink – I mean, how inconsiderate! But now I’ve seen for myself that sometimes I’m blinking more than once a second. Huh. Who knew. Sorry B.

And this feels like a wonderfully summery post to end on before I go away in a couple of days to the south of France – can’t wait to wear the rest of the summer clothes I’ve been stockpiling at long last! If I have wifi in my apartment I’ll stay in touch, but if not, I’ll see you all on the other side…
Β

1. June 16, 2015 / 9:12 pm

It's not often I say to take random yelling as a complement but in this case, I would, you look stunning. You alway look so well put together, the whole outfit is seriously cute!

I was with you on the florals, I bought my first one a few years ago in the summer and was convinced I looked like a pair of old curtains, I've learnt to embrace it a bit more these days!

Kariss xx

• June 17, 2015 / 12:54 pm

Thanks, Kariss πŸ™‚

And precisely – I've been very fearful of looking like a pair of old curtains too πŸ˜‰ I guess it's all in how you style things… xx

2. June 16, 2015 / 11:28 pm

My mother loves florals and for the longest time everything was measured by that standard. Meaning if we saw something that had large red roses we'd say it looks like something our mother would wear. My mom is a wonderful lady but I really didn't want to dress like her.lol Fast forward to today's florals that are oh so soft and pretty I think everyone should wear them. I'm even finding myself drawn to those roses my mother still very much loves.
    These flowery creations you've been finding are all so beautiful and what better place to wear them then in the south of France. I must say I'm very jealous and can't wait to see pictures!!!

• June 17, 2015 / 12:56 pm

I think repro brands are having a great time with florals at the moment – there's some super pretty styles to be found out there! And pictures of France will of course be appearing here… I'll try not to be too smug about it all πŸ˜‰

3. June 17, 2015 / 1:15 am

Enchantingly pretty outfit!!! How lovely that you're growing the florals in your wardrobe. I love them (florals) to bits and sometimes joke that I have so many in mine, it looks more like a garden than a closet. πŸ™‚

I can't speak for folks in the UK, but when someone calls out something like that at me here, I always sense sincerity and love the boost of happiness it gives me in the midst of a shoot.

Tons of hugs & many heartfelt thanks for your wonderfully nice blog comment today,
    β™₯ Jessica

*PS* Have an amazing trip!!!

• June 17, 2015 / 12:57 pm

I guess I am growing the florals – a bit like I'm trying to grown my own garden closet πŸ™‚

I think there's a bit of a thing with sarcastic cat-calling in this country which means that a lot of the time it's meant to be unpleasant, but I did feel like this girl might have been being sincere!

x

4. June 17, 2015 / 7:34 am

I love floral print. I took dress withcthe same one. This dress I wore in one photoshoot for one shop and I really liked it juat for me is short, pity cus it is perfect summer dress.

• June 18, 2015 / 12:15 pm

I love the photos of you in the longer one – it looks amazing on you! This one is short, yes – suits me as I'm short, but I know it won't be for everyone…

5. June 17, 2015 / 8:20 am

You look gloriously gorgeous in this dress honey <3 <3 The flower is an excellent addition to the outfit, the floral dress is just perfect!! I love such kind of dresses in summers πŸ™‚

Have a great day and enjoy your trip to France!

• June 18, 2015 / 12:16 pm

Thank you πŸ™‚ I was pleased I had a flower already that matched so well! I'm sure I will enjoy my trip plenty πŸ˜‰ x

6. June 17, 2015 / 9:27 am

You look beautiful!! I love girly, springy, floral, colorful outfits- and this one suits you very well πŸ™‚
    I love how everything about this outfit matches, and this cute little purse is adorable!
    And of course- the video! Your videos are wonderful and I hope you'll make many more πŸ˜‰
    Looking forward to your France posts….

~Maria☼

(from A Golden Picnic)

• June 18, 2015 / 12:17 pm

The cute little purse was such a steal (although I try not to get caught up worrying about the ethics of its production!!). I'm glad you're enjoying the videos – I don't feel like they're my hobby, but they're a nice thing to have if B is willing to produce them πŸ™‚ I hope to please with my France posts!

7. June 17, 2015 / 11:12 am

Love this dress on you! Your hair and accessories are so lovely too. Beautiful and I loved the video too!! x

• June 18, 2015 / 12:17 pm

I'm so pleased whenever anyone likes the videos especially – they take B so long to do, it's a real labour of love πŸ™‚ x

8. June 17, 2015 / 2:51 pm

This is the most stunning dress ever and you look beautiful.

• June 18, 2015 / 12:19 pm

And the great news is that it's ideal for short people like us πŸ˜€

9. June 17, 2015 / 9:21 pm

That's a lovely dress! You know, I don't actually own any florals either, yet – but I'm in the middle of sewing one right now! It's a super girly rose fabric, hopefully I'm gonna be able to wear it in spite of its girliness. πŸ˜€

10. June 17, 2015 / 10:34 pm

You look beautiful…love the video, I need to learn how to add music to my slide shows I do for my instagram and FB pages…I do my slides on the phone and am new to it.
    I recently bought my first floral a line skirt…felt same as you exactly about florals and about wearing them, now I am addicted to florals. Hope to see more on you.

• June 18, 2015 / 12:23 pm

I have absolutely no understanding of how my boyfriend makes these videos – it feels like wizardry to me! I'm getting towards floral addiction too – turns out they're rather fun πŸ™‚

11. June 18, 2015 / 6:15 am

Wow I actually can't believe you only had 1 print of floral before 2015! I swear, my whole wardrobe has so many different kinds of floral in it. I'm addicted! πŸ™‚ Anyway, I love this dress so much! You do look beautiful! I can't imagine anyone being sarcastic about that.
    Olivia | Her Name Was Celebration

• June 18, 2015 / 12:26 pm

I was trying to think if I'd forgotten any but I don't think Hawaiian tropical prints count for what I'm talking about here! I really hope she wasn't being sarcastic, but as I'll never know let's say she wasn't πŸ™‚

12. June 18, 2015 / 10:20 am

Pretty pretty pretty!!! It's such a lovely dress on you, so feminine, but I don't think girly in a twee or in your face way, it's quite subtle really. You can pull off those soft colours.

I love the little cygnets in the video too, they're adorable! How do they turn into such mean adult swans?!

B is definitely storming ahead with the video skills, well done him xx

• June 18, 2015 / 12:29 pm

I have to say, aside from the florals I was enjoying the pastel colours, yes! Tell me about it re swans – I was 'bitten' by one as a small child!! They're horrible.

B will be very pleased to hear his video skills are appreciated πŸ˜‰ xx

13. June 18, 2015 / 5:05 pm

So pretty!! I totally get it; I didn't own a lot of floral prints until about 2(?) years ago. Now I can't get enough of them! You look especially gorgeous in these posts and that dress is damn lovely! XO
    -Lauren Blair

• June 18, 2015 / 7:11 pm

It's quite a strange thing to be into vintage style and not like florals really – but it feels good to be getting over it πŸ™‚ and thank you xx

14. June 19, 2015 / 12:11 pm

I so used to have the same reservations as yourself ~ if I wore a skirt or dress it had to be black, grey or red, just so everyone would realize that I'm "not too girly"… Then I realized that being girly is awesome because I AM a GIRL and I'm just going to do my thing whether I end up looking like a barbie/princess/doll or whatever…

I'm so glad you've joined the 'dark' side Cici! We have floaty dresses over here!!! πŸ˜› And can I say, if you are going to go floral, you've certainly picked the best print ever! I adore that minty-aqua color with the soft pink roses on it! It's so perfect. ❀

• June 28, 2015 / 8:48 am

I never wore floaty dresses a few years ago either – I am well and truly on the dark side now πŸ™‚ x

15. June 20, 2015 / 5:12 am

Hello,Ciao CIci…well this post is nice as it ahve the video too…the video is nice as show Your fabolous floreal dress in motion..a warm applause for You and B.
    cheers

• June 28, 2015 / 8:49 am

It was your comment about wanting to see more of the process of an outfit shoot that led to this video πŸ™‚

16. June 21, 2015 / 12:26 am

I love florals and you look beautiful! I really liked the video too – what a cool behind the scenes view of your photos! Your husband is very creative and talented πŸ™‚

Jessica
    pyreflies.org

• June 28, 2015 / 8:50 am

Glad you liked it! B is just a long-suffering boyfriend at this point though πŸ˜‰

17. June 22, 2015 / 3:04 am

looking absolutely beautiful CiCi πŸ™‚ I totally understand the floral overload feeling, but it looks stunning on you, perfectly girly x

• June 28, 2015 / 8:51 am

I'm definitely coming round to the idea of doing girly more often πŸ™‚ x

18. June 24, 2015 / 11:50 pm

Oh man, I totally missed this. You do look beautiful! I love this dress on you, and you have an absolute gift for wearing the biggest, boldest hair flowers. I can absolutely see how gorgeous you feel, it's all over your face. <3

• June 28, 2015 / 8:51 am

I love a big, bold hair flower! I want more, more I tell you! Thanks for your lovely comment πŸ™‚ x

19. July 2, 2015 / 10:34 pm

Another lovely little video. I love florals and I think this dress is fab. You can carry them off so should definitely get some more!