Outfit: in bloom (wedding guest outfit option B)

I don’t really know how I’ve gotten to this point in spring (virtually summer!) without the obligatory me-in-front-of-blossom photos. So here I am, surrounded by petals and wearing pictures of petals, for what was my second option for a wedding guest outfit this year. Option A was perhaps a brighter, more tropical affair, but Option B has a hat and features my new Hasbeens, so let’s just say my heart was never in A. So apart from the fact my hat was a bargain and my shoes are beautiful (and will be largely responsible if I have to declare bankruptcy soon), I’m also sporting a new dress, the second that Whispering Ivy sent to me to try out.
The fit on this one was much better all bar one fact – the neck just wouldn’t lay flat on me no matter what I tried. It sort of did if I pulled the dress down, but after doing that for the 17th time I gave up. So you can see in all of the pictures it’s sort of dipping in a bit. But, and this is a big but, my bust measurement is usually out of proportion with the rest of a dress size, so I think it was a bit too big for this waist and hip size. Also, unusually this dress has molded cups on the bust – which, while it helps with the shape, I think is adding to my neckline issues here with further bulk where I don’t need it. Something else to mention is that the size guide on the site doesn’t seem to be in line with what I’m wearing here – I’ve got a Small on, but my waist is 27″ and my bust is 34″, in both cases 3 inches bigger than the website’s size guide. In fact, those measurements are bigger than their Medium. My other Whispering Ivy dress was a Medium, but was only marginally bigger than this one here. Also quite oddly, I don’t think my dress here is exactly the same as the one on the site as it doesn’t have a split at the front (just at the back) – which may well be because it’s a sample and not the finished design.
These points aside, I still think it’s very pretty, a wonderful cornflower blue and although I’ve got some issues with the neckline, I love the square shape of it and the little cut-out. It feels quite unique among repro dresses because of this (while a floral wiggle dress in itself isn’t groundbreaking). Also the back and the dipped V shape are rather lovely – adding a bit of glamour so it doesn’t feel too frumpy. Whispering Ivy dresses do seem to take some care to have lovely necklines and backs from the dresses I’ve seen, even if they’ve got some work to do on consistent sizing!
Whispering Ivy Ruby dress review

Vintage style ivory pillbox veiled hat

Back of Whispering Ivy Ruby dress

Whispering Ivy Ruby dress and pillbox hat

50s style floral wiggle dress by Whispering Ivy

Vintage style floral wiggle dress and pillbox hat

Vintage style ivory pillbox hat with veil

50s style floral wiggle dress by Whispering Ivy

Floral wiggle dress and pillbox hat

Whispering Ivy Rub dress neckline detail

Pink blossom

Whispering Ivy Ruby dress review
Hat: eBay
Bag: Collectif via Sucuubus
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens via ASOS
Although it’s now too late to influence my choice as the wedding was last weekend, which would you have chosen – option A or B?
ย

1. May 20, 2015 / 12:23 pm

You look ravishing my dear! It's a very pretty colour on you,and the shape is most flattering – I love the way the back dips a bit, giving a glimpse of a bit more skin. Those silver Hasbeens are pretty darn special, I had my eyes on the gold ones for a bit but decided not to go for them. Shame about the annoying dip in the front keyhole, and the sizing issues generally, which I too found a bit 'off'. I hope you had a fabulous time at the wedding! xx

• May 20, 2015 / 12:28 pm

Why thank you ๐Ÿ˜€ The Hasbeens are actually metallic ivory – very special indeed! I would love some gold ones, I imagine they'd go with lots. But I couldn't resist ivory – I didn't have any white/ivory shoes which was a clear gap in my wardrobe… I had a lovely time although was freezing cold all day thanks to the weather looking a lot warmer than it actually was. Standard. xx

• May 21, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Maybe it's a symptom of a very new brand? Either way, I hope they sort it out as they have such nice pieces and it would be a shame if people were put off by the sizing problems! xx

2. May 20, 2015 / 3:30 pm

I love the dress and the photos! What about altering the piece of fabric on the neckline? If you shortened it a bit it shouldn't dip.

You look gorgeous here!

• May 21, 2015 / 12:51 pm

I think that kind of alteration, while it sounds incredibly simple as you say it, is so impossibly beyond my appalling sewing skills I can't even picture what you're talking about ๐Ÿ™‚

• May 21, 2015 / 12:51 pm

Glad you agree ๐Ÿ™‚ Maybe option A was better for summer! x

3. May 20, 2015 / 9:09 pm

Ah, this is so gorgeous! I somehow managed to miss your previous post about this brand, and I'm now off to check out their website, because I hadn't heard of them before… The print on this dress is perfect, though, as is the hat!

• May 21, 2015 / 12:52 pm

They've got some lovely things but beware the sizing issues… When you get them to work they're so lovely – Porcelina wore a lovely swing style dress recently, definitely check that out if you haven't already seen it!

4. May 21, 2015 / 6:53 am

Great choice! Really stunning dress and the cornflower blue is beautiful!

• May 21, 2015 / 12:53 pm

Now that I think of it I haven't seen many dresses in this shade of blue recently – perhaps the print is more unique than I first realised!

5. May 21, 2015 / 8:57 am

Goodmorning CICi,
    great post,thanks for sharing such nice photos. Well, this outfit is a dream…is a charming work of Art…it really clebrate Your Beauty and stunning Silhouette…I think that outfit B is perfect for a spring wedding…You'll the Goddess of the event,everyone will look at Your gorgeous Outfit…cheers!
    greetings

• May 21, 2015 / 12:55 pm

Your comments are always so complimentary ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you so much!

6. May 22, 2015 / 10:49 am

You look beautiful in this dress!! Love the colour and print…perfect for a spring/summer wedding! Adding a hat is always a great idea for such formal looks. It's hard to decide between the two wedding guest outfits, really love both!
    Have a great day honey <3

• May 27, 2015 / 12:06 pm

I don't know why it took me so long to own a hat like this – I absolutely love it! It makes such a difference to this look… x

7. May 22, 2015 / 12:23 pm

This dress is amazing on you, it is so pretty!!! You look so beautiful and I just love the hat with it x

• May 27, 2015 / 12:07 pm

Aw thanks – I will never fail to be amazed at hearing I can be inspiring in any way, shape or form!!

8. May 22, 2015 / 4:19 pm

Both dresses are absolutely beautiful and you look beautiful in both!! I do so adore blue though and it would have been my choice saving the other for a summer event.:)

• May 27, 2015 / 12:08 pm

I think you're exactly right – tropical colours suit summer, these colours here suit spring. I'd never looked at it that way until hearing everyone's thoughts though!

9. May 23, 2015 / 10:50 am

Stunningly beautiful photos and ensemble, sweet dear. You are radiantly lovely and so elegantly attired here. Swoon!

I haven't done a blossom shoot myself this year either. In fact, if memory serves me right, I haven't done one since 2012. Wow, can that really be? If there's still any around these parts this weekend, I'm going to try to remedy that.

Big hugs & tons of happy Sunday wishes,
    โ™ฅ Jessica

• May 27, 2015 / 12:09 pm

I am always pleased if you think I look elegant, Jessica, as the queen of elegance! I think this was my first blossom shoot, which also seems very strange to think! I hope you manage to find some ๐Ÿ™‚ x

10. May 24, 2015 / 7:24 am

Wow!! You look absolutely amazing! I bet you were the prettiest there x

• May 27, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Aw shucks, I don't know about that, but I'd say perhaps I was among the best dressed (being literally the only person with a hat!) ๐Ÿ˜‰ x

11. May 26, 2015 / 4:08 am

I love the fabric and the style of your dress Cici, and I totally think that while both outfits look stunning on you, this was the best choice! Mostly because I adore that soft cornflower blue and floral print… And oh, your hat looks so cute! โค

• May 27, 2015 / 12:10 pm

I think it's the hat that really does it ๐Ÿ™‚ x

12. May 26, 2015 / 8:24 am

This is such a pretty dress, I love the colour. You must have been the best dressed guest there! The hat and shoes finish off your outfit perfectly. It is a shame about the fitting issues but as an onlooker I don't think it detracts from the dress.

• May 27, 2015 / 12:10 pm

That's good to hear! I was a bit paranoid about the ill-fitting neckline, but no one seemed to notice it…

13. June 6, 2015 / 2:40 pm

Gorgeous dress! I'm glad with went with this one! I really like this one a lot more. It's so darling with your hat and I adore the colors on you! That's too bad about the sizing issues and the neckline that keeps dipping, but despite those issues it's such a beautiful dress and looks lovely on you! I love the neckline and the back!

14. June 9, 2017 / 6:08 am

Oh this fascinator is still available on eBay, and it arrived to Denmark within a week, too! Thank you so much for the tip, it made my bride's outfit perfect!

• June 9, 2017 / 6:46 am

That's so nice to hear – glad I could help!