Outfit: English orchid (wedding guest outfit option A)

I don’t often have the occasion to dress up, but that’s the great thing about wedding season – a perfectly legit excuse to wear pretty frocks and stilettos. (Oh, and the amazing happy occasion of two people celebrating their love for each other, of course, heh.) As it happens, I’ve only got one to go to this year and thanks to Whispering Ivy I’m spoilt for choice as I’ve got two potential outfits, starting with option A…
Anyone remember Whispering Ivy and their adorable detail-orientated dresses from the London Edge fashion show photos I took back in February? On the pin-up, vintage-inspired repro scene they’re relative newcomers and their range compared to the likes of e.g. Collectif is small, but my what they do have can be very pretty indeed. The prices are also very good – I was expecting lesser quality for that but was pleasantly surprised. Take this dress, for example – alongside the beautiful side bow there is a hidden snap inside the bust to help to stop it gaping if you need it (I assume) and the inside of the shoulders are slightly elasticated to help them stay in place (which is still a challenge on me because I’m very narrow-shouldered being petite, but it’s certainly better than none!). I certainly feel it’s on a par with all of my Collectif dresses in terms of quality – superior to a couple of them, in fact.
Their latest range is particularly strong for floral prints, so if they’re your thing I do recommend taking a look (there’s a mix of wiggle and swing styles). I’m not usually a very big fan of florals – they’re often quite big prints that are overwhelming on me and there’s something in me that feels they’re too twee for my style… but this dress got my attention because the flowers were quite subtle and there’s something else in there too – leopard print! I can’t resist leopard print. I also think the colours are quite an unusual mix and give you the opportunity to accessorise in numerous different ways – pink, green, orange, mink, black… I picked some orange orchids for my hair and was quite pleased with the finished look. With my pale skin (that hasn’t seen the sun for an awful long time) and the florals I felt very English rose (or orchid!) taking these pictures in a Cambridge University garden. But I’m still not sure this is the outfit I’m going to go with for the wedding (you’ll have to wait to see the second option)…
Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review

Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review
Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review

Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review
Sophisticated Flowers orchids in orange

Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review

Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review
Whispering Ivy dress and Sophisticated Flowers hair piece

Whispering Ivy Peggy Sue dress review
Dress: c/o Whispering Ivy
Bag: Lulu Guinness (similar – and much cheaper)
Shoes: Next (similar)
Really cute dress, huh? And not too overwhelmingly long on my short frame either. One piece of advice – pay close attention to the size guide on the site if you’ve got your eye on something – this dress is a size medium, but I’ve got a second that’s a small (they tell me they source from two manufacturers).
ย

1. April 21, 2015 / 1:36 pm

Oh this dress is lovely! I really like the cut and shape of it. 1940's glam.

Just gorgeous!

• April 22, 2015 / 12:19 pm

It was so much more flattering than I thought it would be – which is possibly because it's about a half size too large… but whatever, it works!

• April 22, 2015 / 12:19 pm

I worry I've built option B up too much as everyone seems to like A so much… I hope it compares! x

2. April 21, 2015 / 8:23 pm

Oh my you look positively exquisite in this dress! The print is lovely and so sophisticated. I also love the orange orchids in your hair, and the orange manicure. I admire that kind of dedication to a look! Thank you for bringing this brand to my attention. I can't wait to see option two for the wedding!

Saba x

• April 22, 2015 / 12:20 pm

Ha, thanks for noticing my nails – I definitely tried to make it all co-ordinated! I don't own much orange but I kind of want to now… x

3. April 22, 2015 / 2:02 am

Very lovely & I love the orange nail polish you're wearing too! ๐Ÿ˜€ I can't wait to see the other option as well.

Michelle ^_^
    Delightful Handwork

• April 22, 2015 / 12:21 pm

Weirdly, I've had this nail varnish for years and this is the first time I've ever worn it. Buy boy, did it have its day ๐Ÿ™‚

4. April 22, 2015 / 3:10 am

Wow!!! Seriously, wow!!! I swear, I said it aloud to myself and the cat as I scrolled through these photos. You look absolutely, positively gorgeous, dear gal. Not only that, but orange is an incredible colour on you (lucky, lady!).

โ™ฅ Jessica

• April 22, 2015 / 12:22 pm

Aw, Jessica – you're so nice to me! I had no idea orange was a good colour on me until I worte this outfit and now I feel like I've missed years of wearing it. But actually, it's not a colour you see much of compared to a lot of others… my mission is to find more! x

5. April 22, 2015 / 7:45 am

What a gorgeous choice for a wedding! I love this whole outfit, but it's great to see one of the dresses we saw together at the show actually on YOU, a real person! It's a lovely print and you chose really well for your height and shape, it's most flattering.

I'm excited to be photographing some WI dresses next week on a trip to Pembrokeshire – had a few sizing issues though as didn't realise it was stretch fabric, which makes a world of difference to me as I can usually go down a size. Full report to follow! I look forward to hearing about your second dress too in due course.

Hope you're having a good week xx

• April 22, 2015 / 12:24 pm

I can't wait to see what yours are like – you went for such different styles to me, but I know they're going to look great on you! If I'd gone for the big swing style ones they'd have drowned me without alterations, like they all do…

Kariss had sizing issues too and I'd say this dress here was ever so slightly too big – but a size down would have probably been uncomfortably tight, so I'm not too bothered. The other one is a perfect fit! xx

6. April 22, 2015 / 9:48 am

Very pretty! This would look lovely for a wedding.

• April 22, 2015 / 12:24 pm

Thanks, Helen ๐Ÿ™‚ It's a bit of a shame I've only got one to go to, as I've got two outfits I want to wear to it!

7. April 22, 2015 / 8:02 pm

I love option A and I'm looking forward to option B. The Orange is amazing and the silhouette is feminine and sexy so seems a winner to me so far. I will reserve judgement till I see the next option but this seems hard to beat!

• April 23, 2015 / 1:05 pm

I'm very worried I've over-talked option B… but… it should have a hat!

8. April 23, 2015 / 12:58 am

You are just Gorgeous!! Such a fabulous dress for a wedding also! x

• April 23, 2015 / 1:05 pm

It was made for weddings – and thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ x

9. April 23, 2015 / 6:06 am

This outfit looks lovely! I loved the shape of the dress and the colors, and the hair orchid adds a lot.
    I really need to try some dresses with this silhouette too- it looks so good on you, and I am always afraid more fitted or wiggle shapes would look odd and too old on me… I guess I just need to give it a try!
    Can't wait for option B ๐Ÿ™‚

~Mariaโ˜ผ
    (from A Golden Picnic)

• April 23, 2015 / 1:07 pm

Definitely – you don't know unless you try! And there's skin-tight wiggle, or a more forgiving wiggle like this dress which skims your shape. It's all about finding what works for you and then accessorising how you want to make the look work ๐Ÿ™‚

10. April 23, 2015 / 9:52 am

Hello,Ciai…wow,this is the right choice for a wedding…the outfit is very great on You!
    I like the blend with the black Shoes and bag…Fabolous look of Yours…wearing this outfit You're the reigning Princess of the Kingdom of Beauty and Style…cheers!
    greetings

11. April 23, 2015 / 9:59 am

…the photos are all very beautiful …but…no video?!…what a pity…the location seem to be very lovely…

• April 23, 2015 / 1:08 pm

No video – I didn't realise I'd set a precedent there ๐Ÿ˜‰ there will be more videos, but they're very time-consuming so not for every post alas… But definitely more in the pipeline ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 24, 2015 / 5:04 am

Thank You…maybe a video for the option B?…wearing an outfit with the hat I guess You look so stunning in video!
      Thanks

• April 25, 2015 / 1:19 pm

Maaaybe… it depends on how cold it is when I take the photos ๐Ÿ˜‰ It was *not warm* when I took the ones above – I couldn't have taken trying to shoot a video too!! But thanks for the lovely compliment about my videos ๐Ÿ™‚

12. April 23, 2015 / 4:41 pm

I love your hairdo! It's so elegant. ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 25, 2015 / 1:20 pm

Thanks! That's especially good to hear as this hairdo was attempting to rescue a VERY bad hair day – I kept pinning and pinning until it looked alright!

13. April 23, 2015 / 6:30 pm

This look and dress is absolutely beautiful. I love the unusual color combination, I too am a sucker for anything leopard print. I can see this being styled in so many different ways. Your choice of the orange orchids for your hair is breath taking. I would have thought that a black purse would have been to dark and over powering, but I am totally wrong! Great choice, I look forward to seeing the second option.

She Knits in Pearls

• April 25, 2015 / 1:21 pm

Definitely – I think there's so many options to style this dress! I think the black works because the dress has quite a lot of black in it, actually. Which was lucky, as I don't have an orange bag ๐Ÿ˜‰

• April 25, 2015 / 1:22 pm

Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚ As I've said above, the hair was just randomly pinning bits up after I tried to curl it and it failed miserably. I may be a horrendous hair curler, but I'm a whiz with bobby pins!!

14. April 28, 2015 / 5:36 am

Ohmy! You are seriously rocking this dress! It looks fantastic on you in every single way! I must admit, I'm a bit envious of how great the wiggle style looks on you, classy, chic and hot! I know I can't pull that off, but you look stunning. โค

• April 29, 2015 / 12:16 pm

My secret weapon recently has been: decent shapewear! It can make such a difference to how you feel in wiggle styles… I'd definitely recommend trying some if you haven't (and starting with Rago would be wise, as they seem to be the best). Thank you for the lovely comments ๐Ÿ™‚ x