Outfit: the ‘I can’t believe it’s not vintage’ coat

The weather is starting to brighten up in the UK, but it’s not that warm yet… so before I start getting all spring on you, there’s still more cold-weather outfits coming your way!

One very misty day, B and I took ourselves to local National Trust gardens to celebrate our second anniversary of being together. I, of course, insisted we took my camera and new coat along for the ride, because these days we can’t be in a place of natural beauty without me posing away in front of the trees. Sorry as ever, B. I’m especially sorry this time, though, as we drove all the way out to the park only to discover as we tried to take the first snap that my memory card was still in my laptop. Which unsurprisingly was not with me. Cue a 40 minute round-trip to the nearest store. Heh. I also sat on these photos for a while, in case you were wondering – our anniversary was the first week of January!

To his credit, B patiently snapped away and captured my pretty new coat – which was the amazing bargain of the 2015 January sales. The more I wear this coat and look at these pictures of it, the less I believe that I bought it for ยฃ25 from a UK high street store (on a whim, no less – I never buy coats on a whim!). I’m convinced it looks straight out of the 60s – the shape, the pattern, the colours, the adorable collar… At the least, it doesn’t look like something by a modern store (admittedly my knowledge of 60s vintage isn’t extensive!). And to top it all off, it’s deceptively warm for something this aesthetically pleasing. I could even roll the too-long sleeves up in a non-obvious yet steadfast manner. What a winner.
Oh, by the way – anyone remember I got a new lens for Christmas (can anyone actually remember Christmas, come to think of it)? Well, when I took these photos I had very little idea how to use it – as will be all too clear from the unintentionally dreamy quality of these photos where I got the focus spectacularly wrong. B is of the opinion they look as though they were taken on a regular, film camera and considering the ‘can’t believe it’s not’ theme of this post, perhaps that’s ok? Just tell yourself I was using some lovely old camera…
60s style pastel checked coat

60s style checked coat and half beehive

Sky blue bag and pale lilac heels
60s style pastel checked coat
60s style pastel checked coat

60s inspired half beehive with pastel coat

60s style pastel checked coat

60s style pastel checked coat
Coat: New Look (no longer on sale, but here’s others)
Gloves: Sainsburys
Bag: Ollie & Nic (similar)
Tights: Primark (fleece-lined)
Shoes: Clarks (check eBay)
And yes, wearing light grey/lilac suede near this much mud was pretty nerve-wracking. I genuinely did wear them round the whole park – this wasn’t one of those instances I just had them on for the photos (which are pretty rare, I usually wear what I have on in my pictures the whole day). After some careful tip-toeing and sticking to the footpaths, I’m pleased to report the shoes survived.

What do you all think – sale bargain of the year nailed?

1. March 11, 2015 / 1:36 pm

hi,ciao cici .. beautiful photos and the blend of colours of Your chic outfit is gorgeous…chapeau!
    greetings

• March 12, 2015 / 1:10 pm

Thanks, Aurรจ ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 12, 2015 / 1:11 pm

Good, glad you agree ๐Ÿ˜‰ although I did snap up another plaid pastel coloured coat last week too… that might have to wait until next winter now though! Agree that there's little better in the world than pastels and plaid…

2. March 12, 2015 / 12:31 am

This coat is lovely and looks very cosy too. I like the backdrop and somewhat dreamy quality of these images. It looks like you intended to capture it that way. According to one of my magazines I was reading recently, rolling up coat sleeves in a nonchalant way is apparently in vogue now!

p.s – You're totally channelling a Mad Men character in this outfit.

Saba x

• March 12, 2015 / 1:12 pm

Phew, glad it looks intentional as it certainly wasn't! Most of the shots were so out of focus I couldn't use them, but fortunately I managed to save some with some photo editing work. Ah, I don't think they mean the kind of rolling I do – which is just so my sleeves don't cover my hands ๐Ÿ˜‰ and thanks for the Mad Men compliment – I'll take that any day! x

• March 12, 2015 / 1:13 pm

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. March 12, 2015 / 4:37 pm

Oh, that coat! It's gorgeous, and no, I definitely wouldn't have guessed it was ยฃ20 from New Look (although, to be fair, they've had some fantastic coats in this winter – I had one in my basket for ages, but it sold out before I could talk myself into justifying it) – those are always the best kind of bargains ๐Ÿ™‚

• March 14, 2015 / 8:48 am

They really have – in fact, they've had some great retro-inspired pieces generally over the last year, they're certainly one to watch… but yeah, the selling out thing is something to be wary of!

4. March 12, 2015 / 6:37 pm

Since you've mentioned before how much you love matching, I have to seriously compliment you on your coordination skills. The jacket + the shoes + the bag = perfection.
    And yes, that coat is a total 60s dream. I really like the swing shape and the peter pan collar. It looks like it would be really awesome for a chilly early spring day, with all the pastels in it. I'd say you definitely won clearance rack bingo.

• March 14, 2015 / 8:49 am

Ah thank you – I was particularly pleased with my matching efforts here ๐Ÿ˜‰ the shape is partly what makes this coat I think – I can't do non-shaped shift-types, just drowns me. I was surprised to find such good shaping on the high street if I'm honest! And yes, this coat will look amazing when it's not dressed for the freezing cold, which it really was on this day!

5. March 13, 2015 / 6:23 am

Oooh, I don't do sixties style normally, but I would wear this coat because it is way too delicious! The colors and the peter pan collar are lovely and you've styled it so nicely.

I really love the dreamy quality of your photos too ~ I seriously would've have though that was intentional and been jealous of your photography skills had you not have mentioned it was an accident! One of the best kinds too I think…. Your photographs do look like they can from a film camera. I think they look so whimsical and fairy-like. ๐Ÿ™‚ Perfect! โค

• March 14, 2015 / 8:50 am

I don't do 60s very often myself, but I couldn't resist this coat and glad you agree ๐Ÿ˜€

It seems the consensus is I shouldn't have mentioned my massive photo fail as everyone would have thought I'd done it on purpose, so I guess I know for next time ๐Ÿ˜‰ x

6. March 13, 2015 / 10:11 am

What wonderful places you have there in the UK! Your coat is just lovely, and I'm sure the fact that you got it on a big discount is even more pleasing. I just love the feeling when you buy something that it's actual price was a lot higher (although sometimes that's just what advertisers want us to think… hehe)
    Also, when I first saw this post I read the text only briefly and thought you actually took those photos with a film camera. Your boyfriend was right, they look so vintagy.

~Maria

• March 14, 2015 / 8:51 am

Coat bargains have to be my absolute favourite because they're so often the best discounts! I should have just kept quiet about the camera issues I think!!

7. March 13, 2015 / 10:40 am

Sorry I'm a bit slow commenting on this, I read it the day you put this post up but forgot to leave some thoughts! I think the dreamy focus quality is the perfect thing for these photos, it does add something extra. What a super coat, it suits you so well and does have quite the '60s vibe. Great colours for Spring too, though being practical in that it's warm and cosy, because even if it does look sunny out, by jove it still feels like winter!!

And those shoes in the mud!! You are brave and obviously far more careful than me.
    xx

• March 14, 2015 / 8:53 am

You don't have to apologise ๐Ÿ™‚ I am just pleased whenever anyone takes the time to leave their thoughts! I know, everyone's getting all 'Spring is coming' but while I see the sun, I don't feel the warmth!!

I think re the shoes in the mud I'm more stupid than brave, but thankfully it all worked out in the end. Let's just say a lot of tip-toeing was involved through particularly bad patches. xx

8. March 13, 2015 / 1:23 pm

I don't think I could have left this coat behind either. What a great coat! and those colours definitely would have had me thinking spring. Right now our days are slightly springy but our evenings still have me pulling out my puffy coat to stay warm while out for a stroll.

• March 14, 2015 / 8:54 am

Yes it's really not that warm yet! I didn't really think about this coat and Spring, but that was silly because now that I think about it it would look great with a cute dress and bare legs…

9. March 17, 2015 / 1:58 am

Pieces like that are fantastic finds! I love it when I hit upon an "I can't believe it's not vintage" find, too. I'm a firm believer that one does not have to wear genuine vintage garb from head-to-toe to look the part and scores like this classic coat are living proof.

I know what you mean. Christmas suddenly feels like about 11.5 years ago. How did that happen? It's been less than three months!

โ™ฅ Jessica

• March 18, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Definitely – sometimes the modern world has much to offer… x

10. March 17, 2015 / 4:25 am

This coat is gorgeous! The colors on it are wonderful. Definitely a wonderful find and I really feel the retro vibe going on with it too. I'm glad your shoes survived all that mud too!

Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

• March 18, 2015 / 1:45 pm

You and me both ๐Ÿ˜‰ I did have a real moment of 'What are you DOING?!' when we took our first steps into the park…