Outfit: all of my winter favourites at once

Yes, yes, it’s Valentine’s Day this week. I find myself trying hard to care though – once upon a time I’d go around wearing dozens of sparkly mini heart clips on my head, but those days are gone (and I wasn’t working then – I’m not sure how much my colleagues would appreciate my love-sick Medusa ‘do). As far as I’m concerned, the whole thing is a bit cringy. Ironically, I enjoyed it more when I was single and could be bitter about it. But anyway, this is my longwinded way of saying this outfit features no pink, red or hearts… Maybe one year I’ll suddenly get really into all this malarkey, but for now, I’m still feeling pretty irritable about winter and waiting impatiently for the real event of the month – Pancake Day. Now that’s a day I can get behind. Maybe I should have dressed in a nod to my favourite filling? There’s always next year…
Back to the whole point of this post (whoops)… In the old days, when I was a student and living on a tiny budget, I tended to only buy clothes if they could be worn for every occasion. I honestly wouldn’t buy something if it couldn’t be worn for every season and for work, play and dressing up. Needless to say I owned a total of three incredibly thin jumpers and spent most of the cold months absolutely freezing… But my cost per use in those days was frankly unbeatable! My style, however, was pretty dull… quite literally speaking as 80% of my clothes were grey (because grey went with everything and wasn’t black, because black would be boring, right? You can’t beat that logic.).
While I’ve found this mindset of only buying clothes if I can envisage multiple uses for them quite hard to shake off completely now I’ve got a bit more disposable income, I’d say it’s a bit better in that now I’m a bit more ‘seasonal’ in approach (and wear colour). And in the winter, the following things are fairly multi-purpose for me, depending on what you put them with: plaid, fluffy knits, berets, faux fur and the colour tan (at least it’s not grey). If it fits into one of these categories, it’s a winner as far as I’m concerned. It was therefore high time that I did the original thing and wore all of my favourites in one outfit! I even have a hat that is both a beret and fluffy.
I rediscover this jacket usually round about the end of autumn when it’s just about getting too cold to wear it and I kick myself because I love it when I put it on. I’ve had it for years but you can tell it’s neglected because it’s the first time it’s ever shown up on this blog! I’ve never seen another like it and it always gets compliments, so, thank you, lovely jacket.
Fluffy beret, fur collared jacket, plaid dress and tan knee-high boots
Purple fluffy beret with vintage inspired jacket
Fluffy beret, fur collared jacket, plaid dress and tan knee-high boots
Plaid wiggle dress, cropped cardigan and knee-high boots

Plaid wiggle dress, cropped cardigan and knee-high boots

50s inspired winter outfit - plaid dress, cropped cardigan and fluffy beret
BAIT footwear Hazel boots in tan

Tan jacket with purple beret

Fluffy purple beret

Vintage inspired winter outfit of all my favourites
Beret: Boohoo (similar)
Jacket: Topshop (old)
Cardigan: H&M
Dress: Boohoo (similar)
Boots: BAIT Footwear (BAIT)

1. February 11, 2015 / 9:34 pm

Oh, you look just darling! That jacket with the fur collar is fantastic and looks wonderful paired with the plaid dress and those boots. You always look so chic, dear!

2. February 12, 2015 / 4:23 am

So many awesome things going on in this outfit, where do I start? Your purple fuzzy beret is the prettiest shade of purple. I'm in love with your little jacket with the fur collar. That rusty orange color is wonderful and I imagine it's the perfect autumn jacket. I'm also loving your plaid shift dress because it looks super versatile and those boots are super cool. Basically you look perfect!

Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

• February 12, 2015 / 1:14 pm

Yep it's the perfect autumn jacket but not exactly the warmest thing for winter, even I'll admit! And yes, the dress is really comfy and I've worn it under things so it looks like a top before – love this kind of tshirt dress! 🙂 x

3. February 12, 2015 / 9:14 am

Another great outfit! the boots really are awesome, sigh…
    and yess that jacket is so cute!

• February 12, 2015 / 1:14 pm

I'm so terrified I'm going to wear the boots out, I wear them so much right now!!

4. February 12, 2015 / 1:45 pm

Really great winter outfit – brown and purple, as you so stylishly remind us here, need to come out and play together far, far more often in the sartorial sphere.

However you spend it, my lovely friend, I hope that you have a stellar Valentine's celebration!
    ♥ Jessica

• February 12, 2015 / 1:51 pm

I'd never realised how nice brown and purple were together until this outfit 🙂 and thank you, same to you of course x

5. February 12, 2015 / 6:54 pm

I LOVE this! Each piece is gorgeous.

Bisous

6. February 12, 2015 / 10:53 pm

Love that jacket and those boots! I don't what it is, but brown knee-high lace up boots are fast becoming an obsession for me… They look so cute, and I love how you've styled them with your dress! ❤

• February 13, 2015 / 1:54 pm

Thanks 🙂 they're kind of tricky to style with a dress actually, because it either has to be long enough to cover the tops of them, or short enough to have a bit of a gap… turns out I don't have a lot of dresses that are 'just right', but this one is! x

7. February 13, 2015 / 4:40 am

Fabulous outfit. Boots and jacket work!

8. February 13, 2015 / 1:53 pm

Ah, I love a super stretchy dress because it's hard for them not to fit 😉

Glad it's not just me who buys things for all seasons – I think as a blogger I often feel like it's just me!!

9. February 13, 2015 / 3:31 pm

From your head to your toes, I adore everything your wearing!
    Your line about liking Valentines when you were bitter about it… still has me laughing!
    And yes,yes,yes sausages are bought, syrup on stand-by and pancake ingredients at the ready. Just need a can of whip cream to top it off and maybe some candy sprinkles.

• February 16, 2015 / 1:28 pm

I swear it's more fun to be anti-Valentines 😉

I am intrigued to know what you do with the sausages and pancakes!

10. February 15, 2015 / 12:55 am

Just found your blog and I am happy I did. I love your style. This purple hat is awesome. I love hats. So pretty. Happy Valentine's Day.

Punkylittlediyer.blogspot.com

• February 16, 2015 / 1:29 pm

Ah, thank you 🙂 it took me ages to find an outfit that would work with a bright purple hat, but I got there in the end at least!

11. February 15, 2015 / 1:24 pm

Did I not comment on this? I thought I had, banging on about how much I like those boots, maybe more than my own similar pair, and about the great colour of that jacket on you. Love how you picked out the purple in the skirt with your accessories. Am eagerly anticipating your video!! X

• February 16, 2015 / 1:32 pm

I think you're commenting in your dreams or something as I don't remember seeing it 😉 and this darn hat – it took me so long to realise I had one thing in my wardrobe I could actually wear it with! I literally don't have any other purple… Am hoping the video turns out to be alright… was just about to post it and realised my logo had gone wrong in the bit at the beginning, so now have to do it all again in terms of the converting etc. Gah. xx

12. February 17, 2015 / 12:10 am

You look absolutely lovely in these images, and I love the style and fit of the jacket. You totally look like the lead actress in a glamorous old movie! Your anti-Valentine's Day rant made me giggle. Being bitter and anti-Valentine's is actually surprisingly enjoyable!

Old habits die hard, like the habit of being economical with clothes and wanting clothes that work for all occasions. I can completely relate and still want to derive maximum use from things. But I think you've got the balance down perfectly now, and I'm enjoying all the colours!

Saba x

• February 17, 2015 / 1:15 pm

I think being compared to a lead actress in an old movie is one of my favourite compliments ever! If only… x

13. February 17, 2015 / 2:31 am

I shop the same way! Granted I am still a student. But I always take into account how many seasons I can wear something in. It really bothered me when I bought a dress only to find out that it looks terrible with cardigans…meaning it'll be a summer only dress 🙁 Anyways, I do love that dress–plaid is great!

• February 17, 2015 / 1:16 pm

Exactly – it feels like a waist if things don't work with layers!

14. February 17, 2015 / 4:42 pm

What a perfect purple plaid pencil dress! It looks amazing on you and those boots and coat!!! I feel for you about the cold weather…. sending warm thoughts your way.
    xoxo
    Taylor

15. February 17, 2015 / 8:01 pm

That's such a cute jacket! 'm a really bad one for forgetting about clothes and rediscovering them when the weather is all wrong.

I love your outfit, especially the plaid dress.

cheap-skatefashion.blogspot.com

16. February 18, 2015 / 6:52 pm

Oh, this is such a perfect outfit – I love how well the colours work together, and the purple plaid is so gorgeous!

I also like to feel like I'm getting a lot of wear out of my clothes (It makes me feel itchy to know something's just hanging there and never getting worn), but I must admit, I'm SO bad about buying stuff for seasons we don't actually get – I'd guess about 80% of my wardrobe at the moment is made up of stuff that can only really be worn in spring/summer, and given that we don't always GET a summer, it should really be the other way around: whoops!

(Oh, and I so relate to all the grey – I went through a phase where I'd open the wardrobe doors and literally everything in it was grey. So practical, though 😉 )

• February 19, 2015 / 1:27 pm

I've already bought a dress for summer that is blatantly going to get worn approximately once this year, seeing as it's fighting for air-time with all my other summer dresses I never get to wear! You'd think I'd learn, but nope, seem to find myself doing this every winter. I want the sun…

17. February 23, 2015 / 10:23 pm

Beautiful outfit! Looks lovely on you! <3 Modcloth posted your first pic on Pinterest

18. February 25, 2015 / 5:40 pm

browns and purples go together so well. You 've got lovely style sense. I'm an instant fan. Shared on Glamourdaze