Outfit: cats and dogs (and secret gardens)

So, I’ve been an awful spendthrift lately, but there’s been one piece that’s more than earned its cost-per-use… this little mint green crop top. Turns out, unlike things I bought this year I thought I’d be able to wear with lots of things (I’m looking at you, polka dot skirt), this little beauty genuinely did go with everything. And the colour and style automatically make any outfit a bit brighter, hence in this case where I teamed it with a couple of darker, more wintry prints. And anything that helps me wear cat and dog print together can do no wrong in my eyes…

Some credit also needs to be given to the beautiful location for these photos – B and I originally intended to go elsewhere, but we parked up right outside the entrance to this college in Cambridge… Me, spotting it had an open gate and no one guarding it, thought it was just asking for me to sneak inside and prance around in front of a camera. Cue this gorgeous scenery and the added bonus that as it was a weekend, none of the students were around and I managed to take these photos – and even the short video (!) below – in complete peace. Bliss! What a beautiful city this can be.

And if you’re going to do a shoot in a Cambridge college, what better bag to bring along than my favourite book-shaped one…

1950s style dog print skirt, leopard print shoes

Red book bag from Disaster Designs

Red book bag from Disaster Designs

Belt: Dorothy Perkins, similar
Skirt: Louche @ Joy (old)
Shoes: Miss Selfridge (old)
Bag: Disaster Designs @ Modcloth
While we were out, B had fun experimenting with an app that took Super 8 style film on his phone. If you’ve been reading long enough, you’ll remember a real Super 8 video I put up, which, as in this case, also starred yours truly. I’m not a natural on camera (and absolutely loathe videos of myself unless they’re short and silent like the below), but I’m the only willing subject B has so he has to make do (and I kinda owe him for all the time he spends doing things for this blog!). Something a bit different for a blog post, I guess!

1. September 23, 2014 / 1:58 pm

I love buying something that I end up wearing over and over because it just GOES with everything, makes me feel good for buying it! 😀 you look great and the photos turned out beautifully!

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

• September 24, 2014 / 12:17 pm

Definitely – makes up for all the times I buy something and wear it once 😉

• September 24, 2014 / 12:19 pm

Confession: I have absolutely no technical know-how with videos, so I didn't add the music, B did! But to be fair, I did watch him do it and all he did was use iMovie and a free music file from the internet… it didn't look that hard! x

2. September 23, 2014 / 8:24 pm

That little video is the cutest, I love it. Nice to see that lovely skirt in twirling motion. Great photos too, what a beautiful garden. P x

• September 24, 2014 / 12:19 pm

I'd say I'm building up to tutorial videos… but that would be a lie!! Thank you 🙂 x

3. Anonymous
    September 24, 2014 / 10:30 am

Sorry if you have already answered this, but how do you get a non-elasticated belt to stay at the top of the skirt without riding up and leaving a gap? Looks great on you, but it never seems to work for me….. Thanks,

• September 24, 2014 / 12:22 pm

I'll be honest, sometimes it doesn't work at all, but the trick here was 1) the skirt is quite a thin material so not only did a nice wedge of it fit under the belt, it wasn't so heavy it fell out under it and 2) the waist belt has a buckle but was otherwise quite rigid, so I adjusted it to exactly the width I needed to keep the skirt in place and neither really budged… but when you sit down it's worth checking and re-adjusting when you get up in case that motion has moved things!

4. September 24, 2014 / 2:29 pm

I love the special FX on that little film.

Very sweet outfit too. You look like you walked off a Hitchcock film.

5. September 24, 2014 / 6:39 pm

I can't watch the video since I'm at work, but I do love that outfit. That bag is just too cute, I want a book purse like that so badly. I really have to track one down, maybe it could be my Christmas present to myself. I also really like there there's so much to look at here – the patterned shoes, the patterned skirt, the purse – but nothing really competes with anything else. Mixing neutrals (and leopard is definitely a neutral, in my book) is a really great way to get more mileage out of your pieces.

• September 26, 2014 / 12:30 pm

There's a few styles around of these book bags at the moment, definitely a good time to find one. Agree that leopard is a neutral – probably my favourite one!

6. September 25, 2014 / 2:32 am

I love the book bag, they are always so fabulous. Im a fan of anything with dog print all over it. Also I love when that happens and you can find a nice strangerless secluded spot to take photos, it makes me del more comfortable. That way I don't get people wondering what the weirdo (the weirdo being me) is doing posing randomly in front of trees and stuff.
    Justine

• September 26, 2014 / 12:31 pm

There's so much cat print out there, but it's much harder to find a nice dog print – something I always resent as I'm really not a cat person, but am bloomin' obsessed with dogs! I get so annoyed when randomers wander into my shots – especially if they wander in while gawping at me!

7. September 25, 2014 / 7:41 am

I think you look great on film! its such a cute video with the wind blowing and stuff 🙂
    Love your bag! and the top is great <3
    ha, yes. I thought I'd wear my polka dot skirt more, too 😛

• September 26, 2014 / 12:32 pm

Good ol' nature helping me out! I think I look ok when there's no sound and I don't have to actually do anything 😉

Polka dot, it turns out, is actually quite hard to match with things!

8. September 27, 2014 / 4:09 am

I can see why you love this top so much as it is beautiful! Love the color and it goes so great with your skirt! Great bag, I love to see unique pieces!

Rebecca

9. September 28, 2014 / 9:18 am

Ah, I loved the video – so dreamy! I know what you mean about crop tops, too: I'd never have believed how much use I'd get out of something I probably wouldn't even have considered not so long ago!

10. September 30, 2014 / 11:32 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog! What a cute purse and outfit! 🙂

Miranda
    Little Gold Pocket Watch

11. October 1, 2014 / 11:26 am

You look beautiful! I love your bag and your hairdo!

12. October 22, 2014 / 1:21 am

That skirt is over-the-moon adorable!!! I wonder why we don't see more dog prints in adult clothing these days? Cats have had some recent fashion moments, but dogs certainly haven't to the same degree. Designers out there, take note and bring on the sartorial canines! 🙂

♥ Jessica