Make-up: top 3 retro coral lipsticks

As soon as the sun starts to come out in Spring, I find myself reaching for summery alternatives to red lipstick. There’s three shades I keep on coming back to time and again. And as it took me years of searching to find my favourites, I’m sharing my top choices with you now to save you the job 😉

Three 50s/603 style coral lipsticks
L-r: Rimmel’s Coral Queen, Boots No7’s Gay Geranium & Revlon’s Kiss Me Coral
The perky pink
Rimmel Lipstick Coral Queen
Rimmel Moisture Renew lipstick in 620 Coral Queen

This is definitely a very pink coral, but I’ve let it into my list because it at least has ‘coral’ in the name and not everyone likes the more orange-y types. It’s an incredibly easy colour to wear, not being too powerful a shade and also very moisturising, as the name suggests. Make sure your lips are exfoliated before wearing – it clings to flaky skin. This is a curious colour because on me it comes out very true pink and on my blonde but slightly more tan friend L, it looks lighter and slightly more orange – but still very pretty.

The classic coral
Revlon Kiss Me Coral Lipstick
Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick in 750 Kiss Me Coral
To me, this is the lipstick I own that is the most classically coral. It’s probably the most subtle of these three – and very moisturising. It has a slight sheen, being a creme, which I personally prefer to blot away with some matte powder. It’s an easy one to wear for the daytime and I can see it suiting a lot of different complexions due to its subtlety – I think it could look especially stunning contrasted with darker hair than mine.
The bright, matte favourite
Boots No7 Lipstick Gay Geranium
Boots No7 Stay Perfect lipstick in 75 Gay Geranium

I’ve left the best until last here – this is my all-time favourite retro coral shade. Which I think we can all agree, also has the best name. This is bright, completely matte and is the kind that bounces into the room before you shouting ‘Summer’s here!’. It never fails to perk my face up, even if it’s tired. But you absolutely must exfoliate your lips and put a primer on before applying – it’s a true matte and will show up every imperfection and eventually dry you out to create more if you’re not careful. Worth it, in my opinion, for such a great colour – and one I’ve never found replicated in another range so far.

What do you think – any of these worth giving up your favourite red for?

1. August 10, 2014 / 11:56 pm

I've just found your blog for the first time and am so glad i did, these retro looks are beautiful! I'm always trying to find a perfect lipstick shade besides classic red and your post really helped me explore my options:) Not to mention i had no idea some lipsticks need a primer – good tip. Oh and your winged eyeliner is perfect!
    xoxo Rachel
    allsfairinloveandwardrobe.wordpress.com

• August 11, 2014 / 12:25 pm

Ah, such a nice comment, thank you 🙂 glad I could help a little. And if you want advice on lip primers, I've got that one covered too 😉 x

2. August 11, 2014 / 6:24 pm

I really love those colors on you! I've never done coral because the more orange based shades don't really suit me, but I might have to see if I can find some a nice pinky coral like what you've got. I'm sure the Revlon shade is in stores here.

• August 12, 2014 / 12:05 pm

Agree that orange tones can be difficult for some people – but pinks are much more universal 🙂 Revlon make such good quality, relatively inexpensive lipsticks. One of my faves!

3. August 12, 2014 / 7:41 pm

My ultimate favorite lipstick of this season is Revlon coral! I almost got Kiss Me Coral but instead, I got Red Lacquere . I wear it with almost everything and coral is such a great color for spring/summer:) As always, you look beautiful!
    xo Olivia

• August 13, 2014 / 12:24 pm

Red Lacquer is one of my favourite daytime reds – great choice 🙂 xx

4. August 13, 2014 / 9:58 pm

Ahh I love the third one, such a shame we don't have Boots in Australia 🙁

• August 14, 2014 / 12:12 pm

That is a shame – and something I've heard other bloggers lament before! eBay..? Probably prohibitively expensive, I'm sure! x

5. August 13, 2014 / 10:42 pm

These are beautiful shades of lipstick!

6. August 14, 2014 / 9:48 am

I always feel coral doesn't suit me but I like the first one (probably because it more pink as you said haha). And hey this is actually a brand we also have in the Netherlands so I'm going to be on the lookout for it! thanks for the tip!

• August 14, 2014 / 12:21 pm

Well hello, over there in the Netherlands! I had no idea that's where you were, cool 🙂 I don't have much Rimmel stuff, but what I do have, like this lipstick, I really like! x

7. August 15, 2014 / 7:17 pm

You know I love that Kiss Me Coral! One of my favourites, and a summer staple. I also love Besame Carmine though that's more orange. Will look out for those others you mentioned.
    x

• August 19, 2014 / 12:31 pm

Definitely a summer staple! I've been wanting to try Carmine for ages, have just been put off by the price and the fact it's impossible to test it in shops… I keep getting stung by buying lipsticks online that I think are going to be great and I absolutely hate when they turn up… Hmm… x