But finding more subtle shades of red and pink that aren't glosses or balms and stay on longer than five minutes seems to be much harder than it should. I reviewed a red Revlon Lip Butter a while ago that I like, but has two big flaws - 1) it's so damn shiny and I'm a matte girl and 2) the colour isn't quite right on me and it's not red enough.
Back to the drawing board... and also back to Revlon where I was seeking their new ColorStay Ultimate Suede range, and although I did pick up a little number from there I'll review on here soon, I also got suckered by Boots (every time) and their buy 1, get 1 half price deal.
I'm pretty sure Revlon's Super Lustrous range has been around for years but somehow I've never tried it before. The only reason I did this time is after some serious swatching I couldn't resist the shade of this lipstick. Pure red - and... sheer!
Don't be fooled by the shine in these photos - I was standing in the bright light from a window, it's not actually this glossy (or I wouldn't like it!)...
- Great shade of classic red
- Sheer - you almost get a stain effect without any blotting
- Great texture - moisturising but not sticky, hardly notice you're wearing it
- Great packaging (see below) - it's simple but I LOVE that you can see the bullet through the lid (are you listening, Mac?!)
- No nasty taste or smell
- Cheaper than Mac!
- Ok, so the staying power isn't immaculate - it does go patchy after eating but as the colour is sheer I feel like it's a bit more bearable than usual
- It won't ever look crisply defined - in fact I can't always tell exactly where I've put it until I've gone over my lipline and then it looks weird because it's semi-transparent
But generally, unexpectedly impressed with this lipstick and thinking I might try some others in the range now. Whether this becomes a favourite depends on how much I continue to like the shade. I always love them when they're new and then go off them... but for now, I like!
Follow me at Bloglovin' ♥ Facebook ♥ Twitter ♥ Instagram