This is an update on my continued quest to find lipsticks I can wear for work that aren’t so bright and pigmented everyone can tell when I’ve had my lunch and forgotten to reapply because suddenly I’m wearing 90s lipliner (as in, all of the middle has worn off leaving an ugly, thick lip border!). Not even I’m thinking about what my face looks like all the time (no, really), cos, you know, emails happen.
But finding more subtle shades of red and pink that aren’t glosses or balms and stay on longer than five minutes seems to be much harder than it should. I reviewed a red Revlon Lip Butter a while ago that I like, but has two big flaws – 1) it’s so damn shiny and I’m a matte girl and 2) the colour isn’t quite right on me and it’s not red enough.
Back to the drawing board… and also back to Revlon where I was seeking their new ColorStay Ultimate Suede range, and although I did pick up a little number from there I’ll review on here soon, I also got suckered by Boots (every time) and their buy 1, get 1 half price deal.
I’m pretty sure Revlon’s Super Lustrous range has been around for years but somehow I’ve never tried it before. The only reason I did this time is after some serious swatching I couldn’t resist the shade of this lipstick. Pure red – and… sheer!
Don’t be fooled by the shine in these photos – I was standing in the bright light from a window, it’s not actually this glossy (or I wouldn’t like it!)…
- Great shade of classic red
- Sheer – you almost get a stain effect without any blotting
- Great texture – moisturising but not sticky, hardly notice you’re wearing it
- Great packaging (see below) – it’s simple but I LOVE that you can see the bullet through the lid (are you listening, Mac?!)
- No nasty taste or smell
- Cheaper than Mac!
- Ok, so the staying power isn’t immaculate – it does go patchy after eating but as the colour is sheer I feel like it’s a bit more bearable than usual
- It won’t ever look crisply defined – in fact I can’t always tell exactly where I’ve put it until I’ve gone over my lipline and then it looks weird because it’s semi-transparent
But generally, unexpectedly impressed with this lipstick and thinking I might try some others in the range now. Whether this becomes a favourite depends on how much I continue to like the shade. I always love them when they’re new and then go off them… but for now, I like!